Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone own an old Athol Machine Co. vise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone own an old Athol Machine Co. vise?

i just picked up an Athol Machine Company vise. from what i understand Starrett bought the Athol company and sold the Athol vises under the Starrett/Athol name. mine is from prior to that time. here is what mine has cast into it:

MFc. By A M Co. ATHOL MASS

No. 40 PAT NOV 14 1871

it has 4" jaws and opens to about 8".

it has a quick opening/closing mechanism where the nut is a halfnut about 3" long and you can lift up about 1/4" on the movable jaw and slide it in or out. when you lower it back into the nut you can tighten or loosen the jaw as normal. the screw is a buttress thread and looks to be in pretty good condition, but the halfnut is shot. since i find it HIGHLY unlikely replacement parts are available, it looks like i have buttress threading project.

i tried cleaning and greasing the threads to see if they would work at all, but as soon as any pressure is applied the screw jumps out.

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Yeah. I think I do. Maybe. But it's raining now and I don't feel like going out in the shop to look.

Mine is entirely different looking. It has like an I beam and the screw isn't enclosed.

I'll look when it is daylight and isn't raining. I do think it has Athol forged into it.

Comment

It stopped raining today, so I went out an looked.

Mine has "Athol Mass" on one side, and AMO or AMC on the other. No 01, I think.

On the one I have, the front jaw is stationary, and is one piece with an I beam. The I beam is fastened down. On top of the I beam, the rear jaw sits, and it is the movable jaw. The screw is above the I beam, and it open, and as a result is a little damaged.

Comment

i'd like to see a photo of that. from what i found the Athol Machine Co started in the late 1860s. it sounds like your vise might be even older than mine.

andy b.
        The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

No, but I have a Rock Island No 294 that looks almost identical to it.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

It might not be buttress thread, but it could be.
            Very warn acme threads look like buttress threads.
            Just a heads up.
            Check out un-warn portions of the screw to be sure.
            --Doozer
            DZER

Comment

these are definitely a buttress thread. i'll grab a photo of the screw thread. the ends are almost unworn. i was looking at the screw on an old Parker vise i have, and that one is a square thread. it is kind of neat to see all of those thread styles and where they are used.

andy b.

Comment

Working...
              X