Mill going for scrap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mill going for scrap.

This was enough to bring a tear to my eye. A nice old mill going into a dumpster. It will probably come back as iron cooking utensils as one of the comments on the video said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Rgy...ture=rec-HM-r2

i didn't realize vertical mills grew on trees. the soil there must have a very high iron content. i'd hate to be walking through the area when they ripen and start dropping on your head.

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

I think I'm gonna' be sick...

Comment

The video was from the UK and I am sure they would not have been able to sell it anyway..

Manual machines tools are mainly obsolete in industry, and industry in the UK is nearly obsolete as well...

I doubt many hobbyists in the UK would have room for a 3 tonne vertical mill and then be able to afford the ISO50 tooling to go with it..
        Precision takes time.

Comment

Go to some large shop auctions. Those type machines often go for $25 and many times no bidders even at that price.

Comment

Originally posted by DR
            Go to some large shop auctions. Those type machines often go for $25 and many times no bidders even at that price.

A few years back my friend picked up 2 old CNC VMC's for $1,000. both working. They were Mori seki's.

Comment

The company I work for has an old Bridgeport sitting idle, awaiting the scrap yard.
              The only things wrong are that the variable speed drive is shot, and the gibs are loose.
              My dumbass boss doesn't want to fix it. "It's too expensive."
              I asked, Then why not just convert it back to belt drive, and tighten up the gibs?
              Nope. He wants to get rid of it.
              SHEESH .....
              When it hits the dumpster, I'll scavenge the handles, cranks, dials, and whatever else I can to sell on Ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater
                When it hits the dumpster,
                Why let it hit the dumpster? Would he sell it to you for scrap value or slightly more?

Comment

Working...
                X