Stupid band saw question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid band saw question...

Today I finally ordered myself a horizontal band saw since I've grown very tired of exercising my arm with a hack saw.
    (Enco 7x12, with the optional UL listed motor.)

I was skimming through the on-line owners manual and I came across this:
    6. TO PROLONG BLADE LIFE ALWAYS
    release blade tension at the end of each work day.
    Since I've never owned a band saw before I have to ask - is this commonly practiced among you that own them?

Personally, I never have done that. However, I haven't had any of those generic small saws either. Someplace, there is a whole forum devoted to nothing but those small saws. I would do a search for it. Those saws are like a swiss army knife: you would not believe all the modifications and tips that are available for owning/using one. The biggest recommendation That seems universal is don't even think of using the stock blade - it's a total waste of time. Order a quality Starret, Lenox, or some other blade immediately. Once you get the new blade installed, you can proceed to make the alignment adjustments, break-in the new blade, and tweak the saw to give satisfactory service. I have an old Wells saw that I had difficulty with because I was using industrial blades made by a shop here in Dayton. Once I bought a "pre-made" Starret blade, all my troubles went away.

Comment

I don't know who can up with that idea. There was no shop I worked in that did that and I don't know how it could help prolong blade life. For one thing, you forget to tighten it up and BINGO your now putting the blade back on the wheels and tightening it up.

Do you loosen your hacksaw blades between use? I don't and I don't loosen the band saw blades. Oh BTW, buy and use bi-metal blades.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
        Oh BTW, buy and use bi-metal blades.
        I intend to do just that, but I'm going to wait and see what condition the saw arrives in first....

I've seen a couple horror stories on the net, and saw a couple more in my local Horror Freight stores.

Comment

The issue of releasing the blade tension is not a good idea.
          The only time it would be of value is if you were moving the machine over a sizable distance, but certainly not within a shop.
          You could say that a mis-alligned blade could take a "set" but to do that, you would need severe temperature changes to take place to cycle the metal molecules. . You will hav far more damage caused by errors in wheel and guide allignment.
          Rich

Comment

The Enco 7x12 is made in Taiwan and is an excellent saw for the money.
            Mine has cheaper motor and has been used daily for the last 6+ years with no problems.

IIRC back then I paid $625.00 shipped to my door.

Toss the supplied blade after about a dozen cuts.

Comment

bans saw blades are liike guitar srings if oyu pratice that you will cause premature ware in parts and other damages down the road happen that can be avoided if you just tighten it up and leave it alone the entire saw last longer , the only time i losen my band saw blade is when i intend to change it , i a regular band saw thats also made for cutting metal as well so i have a metal blade set and a wood set of blade this way i jst use when i need when i need to and these days its 99% metal use only

a saw blade will strech with use which is way you need to make it tighter from time to time, evetually the blade will ware out and so then you just repalce it,

allwing hte blade to release its tension when not in use then tighten again when it it what happens is whats called the rubber band effect and then you ask your slf how did it snap so easy , guitar strings work the same so you need to keep the tension on them for 2 reasons ! logner life of the strings and B longer neck life , you know what a banana looks like that what happens to the neck of a guitar if you always detun it all the time when not in use the truss rod also gets damaged beyond repair, so same goes in hte band saw adjuster s and other parts will damage sooner then they shoud and not only wil hte blade snap but you can also send other crap flying and thats not safe either..

Comment

Originally posted by Highpower
                Today I finally ordered myself a horizontal band saw since I've grown very tired of exercising my arm with a hack saw.
                (Enco 7x12, with the optional UL listed motor.)

I was skimming through the on-line owners manual and I came across this:
                Since I've never owned a band saw before I have to ask - is this commonly practiced among you that own them?
                I had a bandsaw mill that had to be released every day.but it had a solid tensioner on it.The better saws feature a spring under the tension screw so that in reality you are really loading a spring.In this case it shouldn't matter one bit since the spring is there to compensate for blade expansion and contraction.

If it doesn't feature a spring tensioner I would release the tension.Those blades grow a bit when the warm up during operation,when they contract they tend to put a lot of force on the saws wheels/bearings etc.

A spring tensioner can be added easily also.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

It is indeed hard to imagine where "loosen the blade when not in use" came into it.

As already mentioned I too have never practiced it, and have never met anyone who has. As far as the smaller saws are concerned, I had a little 4x6 for 20 plus years and the same blade sometimes would last for 3-5 years when I wasnt able to frequent the shop for some reason or other, and never be loosened. In fact the first blade I had ever to break happened only about a year ago - then I had a rash of breaks, investigating it I determined it was a batch of 4 that I had got and apparently was defective.
                  If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

I always thought that it was due to not putting a permanent imprint in the tire around the wheel, and to keep the blade frome getting a round "set" from the wheel. The set would not happen overnight, but has happened on my wood bandsaw from sitting for a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by housedad
                      I always thought that it was due to not putting a permanent imprint in the tire around the wheel, and to keep the blade frome getting a round "set" from the wheel. The set would not happen overnight, but has happened on my wood bandsaw from sitting for a couple of weeks.

on wood blades you have to watch you dont use to much tension on them and thats what likey had happen to you , i never had a problem yet, and i use any where from 1/8 to 1/2 inch blades in my saw even my tires are sill just like new, and yup i have a tensioner spring and it does it job as it should, when i use the metal blades i do tension them up a bit tighter then i would on the wood blades onyl cause i found that using less on the metal blades caused a few jumps that scred the hell out of me so now they get more tension on them then the wood blades do..

Comment

An odd idea.

I have an Enco 7X 12 H/V bandsaw that was built in 1987. I bought it from the original owner in 1994 and other than when the blade is changed it's always been under tension. I can't think of any benefit to running the tension down.

In fact, whenever I release the tension on the saw in order to change blades, it takes me five to ten minutes to get the blade running straight again. That's a strange idea. I've never heard of that before.

Comment

I know of saws that have been used for over 50 years and have never had the tension released and they are doing just fine today.
                          It's only ink and paper

Comment

I don't see the benefit of relieving the blade tension on a metal cutting bandsaw either, because the wheels don't have the same rubber tires as wood cutting bandsaws.... Is it possible that statment in the owners manual is a "legacy" bit of boiler plate in a manual written by a supplier that builds both wood and metal cutting saws???
                            Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

On my wood band saws, I will back off the tension if I am not going to use it for a few days. I may even take the blade off if I expect not to be using it for "a while" (that keeps me from being to lazy by not changing to the "correct blade" before I used it again). On the metal cutting bandsaws, I only mess with the tension when something goes wrong and I need to make an "adjustment". There is usually a difference in the "design" between the two "types" of bandsaw as to "frame stress in use", bearings, and such.
                              Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

Working...
                              X