Need help sizing an air compressor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MickeyD
    save the extra $200 or so dollars that you are going to spend for Ingersoll "quality".

That is exactly what I was talking about when I said earlier that no, you can't believe IR is dead on accurate-neither in performance nor quality claims! That 5 HP single stage model with the 18+ CFM rating I mentioned has become notorious for burning out motors and it's because they attempted to cheap out on the motor and still try to drive that pump to a higher CFM than the motor torque could handle.

Comment

Lowes/Homedepot/KMart similar unit
      the ones that say made in the USA are really assembled in the states. the parts can be fore anywhere. Kobalt, Husky and others are assembled by the same company. The small hardware might be and the ASME stamped tanks are made in the USA.
      Glen
      Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
      I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Originally posted by PTSideshow
        the ones that say made in the USA are really assembled in the states. the parts can be fore anywhere.
        In order to be marked Made in USA, all the parts have to be made in the US. AFAIK, only Quincy and Champion are Made in USA anymore.

Where things get tricky is some of the tanks are Made in USA, so the tanks are marked as such, but the compressor head and motor are not, so the manufacturer doesn't claim the whole unit is. But you walk into the store and see that big American flag on the tank...

Basically, if you're buying a compressor at a consumer outlet (Sears, TSC, Home Depot, Lowes) or paying less than $1500 for an air compressor, it's made in China.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I just got back from Home Depot (still looking for bentonite clay ), and the Husky Pro series compressors are not marked Made in USA, even though the compressor head on a couple of the models is cast "Made in USA."

The lower-end models have Chinese Emerson motors. The more expensive models have "Assembled in Mexico" motors.

To be honest, the compressor heads all looked like sh!t, including the one's cast "Made in USA".
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
          X