Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lathe/Mill dial indicator mod.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lathe/Mill dial indicator mod.

    In cleaning up a Clausing 5914 and making some changes it occurred to me that perhaps some have not done this modification.

    In use, the dial indicators on the carriage and compound feed are continually being changed and/or zeroed and the usual allen screw or thumb screw provided works but is not particularly quick. Here is a mod that it is quick, very simple and a really useful mod.
    Remove the allen set screw or thumb screw, in the threaded hole put in some lead shot, I use #6 shot but about any thing will work, replace the set screw and tighten just enough to stop unwanted rotation but still allows smooth rotation by hand. Over time some re-tightening of the set screw may be required.

    Takes about 5 minutes


    EDIT:
    Also the tail Stock.
    Last edited by Ken_Shea; 10-29-2009, 12:50 AM.

  • #2
    Ok, so if I have this right, the bit of lead shot gets pressed in and then pretty much stays where it is, as a sort of 'always engaged' friction device- am I close?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

    Comment


    • #3
      That's a great tip Ken, thanks!
      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

      Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
      Monarch 10EE 1942

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by darryl
        Ok, so if I have this right, the bit of lead shot gets pressed in and then pretty much stays where it is, as a sort of 'always engaged' friction device- am I close?
        Right on the money !
        Use this on any of the lathe or mill dial indicators that don't have a friction device already, the ones that do have a friction knob don't have a set screw (at least those on my mill don't) else I would do the same to them.
        Last edited by Ken_Shea; 10-29-2009, 09:45 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          That is a handy tip.

          If no lead shot is available, a snip of wire solder will serve the same purpose.
          Jim H.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JCHannum
            That is a handy tip.

            If no lead shot is available, a snip of wire solder will serve the same purpose.
            Yes it will, just about anything compressible including soft plastic, having had a gun store I had a lot of lead shot

            Comment


            • #7
              Funny that you call them dial indicators. I would say on a machine leadscrew they are called just plain dials or graduated dials. When you referred to them as dial indicators and I finally figured out what you were talking about, I had to look at your location to see if perhaps you were British.
              Dial indicators are something else.

              --Doozer
              DZER

              Comment


              • #8
                Id personaly perfer plastic.. less stuff smeared all over.. Im not 'against lead' just because its lead, but because it tends to 'write' all over things galling.
                Awsome idea though. Another would be install a wavey washer sorta setup, or a small spring.
                Im not sure how my lathes collars are setup but they have a really good 'friction' to them thats not grainy at all.. its a common HF12x36 sealed gearbox lathe.
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Doozer
                  Funny that you call them dial indicators. I would say on a machine leadscrew they are called just plain dials or graduated dials. When you referred to them as dial indicators and I finally figured out what you were talking about, I had to look at your location to see if perhaps you were British.
                  Dial indicators are something else.

                  --Doozer
                  You are correct.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Black_Moons
                    Id personaly perfer plastic.. less stuff smeared all over.. Im not 'against lead' just because its lead, but because it tends to 'write' all over things galling.
                    Awsome idea though. Another would be install a wavey washer sorta setup, or a small spring.
                    Im not sure how my lathes collars are setup but they have a really good 'friction' to them thats not grainy at all.. its a common HF12x36 sealed gearbox lathe.
                    Never know lead was anywhere, I've had them in another lathe for over 15 years and they are still going strong, smooth and friction is consistent.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X