Starting them young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting them young

This is my youngest helping me in the shop.

She takes the nut off the bolt, removes all the parts and then puts them back again. She can do that for 5-10mins none stop. She is 2.5 yrs old

Rob

Great pix.......smile......those are precious times at the young ages.......those are some large bolts??????

My boy used to enjoy making pyramids and towers with them hopefully not damaging the threads........LOL
    Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Thats what I need. My 1+yo little rocky loves to look around the shop.

I was cutting some metal disks about 0.25 thick the other day and had one in my hand. He reached for it so I quickly deburred it, wiped it off with a clean rag and handed it to him. He stared at it for about 2 min, slowly turning it over in his hands. Funny how they are so curious.

rock~
      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

At the shows we cut loco wheels on the KX3 CNC mill just for something to do.
        It gets boring for us but not the punters as no one stands there long enough to watch the whole operation.
        They just like to see them cutting metal and not air cutting.

The loco wheel is about 85mm in diameter, 3-1/2" ? and 5/16" thick, they have no tread on them just the detail work is done as they are not needed for anything unless I was building a 4 - 97 -108 - 4 loco

At one time we just threw these into a box but now we wait and watch and if any kids show an interest, and you can spot them, we give them a loco wheel, never know, could be a future customer

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Surprised you can get away with that one John, Bloody P/C police an all that.

Regards Ian.
          You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Sorry Ian not with you ? Giving the wheel away ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

No, Talkin to Kids, all the hoo ha. Sad state of affairs, have you been Vetted to be allowed to talk to them? An this ISN'T a reflection on you John.

An I don't know if it's me being extra careful, but sticking a heavy vise on a wobbly plastic crate for a kiddie to play with ????? Tother day, an "Experienced" guy showed us the results of using a screw jack to lift a lathe with??

Try explaining that one at the ER.

Regards Ian.
              You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Wobbly plastic crate? I've use them milk crates as step stools for years, an I'm 260.. It appears, that crates been stood on a time or two. I don't think a 30 lb vice is gonna make it collapse. And it doesn't look like that little girl is doin a lot of heavy yanking on it. And if she does get it pulled off, you can bet she will be that much smarter than the neighbor kid whose parked in front of the TV watching Sponge Bill.
                Keep up the good work Rob

There I feel better, have a lovely day
                Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Circlip
                  An I don't know if it's me being extra careful, but sticking a heavy vise on a wobbly plastic crate for a kiddie to play with ?????
                  That was my first thought too.

Comment

Great pictures and wonderful memories!

Comment

Hey Rob I hope your paying her a womans wage after all she's doing a fine job. Alistair
                      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Yea come on you would'nt work on a plastic crate! shes old enough for her own (Securely bolted or weighed down by all your extra heavy goodies on the bottom shelf) workbench!

More humian work conditions for child labour!! (pickets outside spkrman's house)

Don't forget to find some glasses for her and that hammer. They arnt very strong yet but impacts are impacts and could send something flying. and its a good thing to get them used to at an early age.

Plus, adults love to blow dust outta the way.. Usally right into thier eyes..
                        Err did I say adults? sorry I meant teenagers err sorry I mean kids err ok I mean everyone
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                          The loco wheel is about 85mm in diameter, 3-1/2" ? and 5/16" thick, they have no tread on them just the detail work is done as they are not needed for anything unless I was building a 4 - 97 -108 - 4 loco
                          Hmmmmm am I missing sumpin John or are ya running a third rail??? 97 just don't compute. LOL
                          Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Nice pics you will have even better memories in years to come.
                            scariest thing to hear " I am from the government and i am here to help"

Comment

Originally posted by dockrat
                              Hmmmmm am I missing sumpin John or are ya running a third rail??? 97 just don't compute. LOL
                              Right, looks like we gave too many away

Comment

Working...
                              X