turning abs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turning abs

A friend asked me today to turn an abs part which has been painted. He doesn't like the look of the paint and wants it removed, then the part needs to be turned to remove mold lines. I don't want to leave the raw plastic surface worse than it is already. What's the best way to leave the raw finish looking decent? This won't be painted again, just left as-turned.

My instinct is to use the toolpost grinder with a suitable 'sanding device' mounted in it. I thought to use a strip of drywall sandpaper wrapped on a disc and take the paint off with that, then make a disc from a nylon scrubbie and make a few passes with that.

By the way, the piece is like a pipe- I can mount it on a stub arbor and turn it well enough to work on.

Maybe what I need to do is obvious- turn a piece of scrap abs and see what gives.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Use wet and dry paper wet and then solvent polish. If you leave a matt finish it will attract dirt like a magnet.

Regards Ian.
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

I hate to steal this thread but there would'nt happen to be a solvent polish for UHMW?
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

You need to look at the spec sheet for it BM. to see if it affected by Ketones etc.

Vas is UHMW??

Regards Ian.

Comment

uhmw= ultra high molecular weight. Often polyethelene. Or, what a bag of chips does to me...

Comment

Ouch, Plastic bowl material, Thought about using a "Skiving Tool" BM ???

(Look it up)

Comment

Working...
            X