X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone fancy a 10EE for £750 ?

Fourth advert down.

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/latest.html

Well not a 10EE as such but CVA's clone of the same model. Seems to be the going price of them over here £750 to £900 is about ball park. Ironically if it was a Colchester [ hawk spit ding ] it would fetch double that.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

I do! but no money left to spend on toys whats the spindle bore on these anyway?

Comment

1-3/8" I think, just big enough to get a 5C drawbar down.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

hmm well that puts it lower on my needs list i need a cheapo machine that has good sized bore to supplement the other 2 lathes i have which are 1 & 3/8ish too.

I could do with upgrading my 12x36 but for now has to struggle on, the new workshop is costing a bit more than planned to outfit with electrics etc

Comment

Yep...spindle size kills my interest aswell

My v13 maximat is around 40mm so ideally I'd want bigger.

i'm looking for another lathe to replace my L5... but something of the size of a TOS SN50B or such..

Rob
          Last edited by ; 11-01-2009, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSleepy

i'm looking for another lathe to replace my L5... but something of the size of a TOS SN50B or such..

It looks a nice paint job though.

Rob
            Different animal, the CVA is a precision toolroom lathe and spindle size isn't it's main worry. A SN50B isn't really in the same ball park, if you can wait a couple of years you can have mine willingly.
            It attracts the wrong kind of work. Why have to crane 1 tonne rotors into position when you can lift a job up one handed and get paid the same ?

BTW the link is probably down the page by now as the page gets updates automatically as people ad and remove adverts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSleepy

It looks a nice paint job though.

Rob
              I've still got my DSG 17 x 36, bigger bore than the TOS
              Really needs the bed ground though for any serious work. A dealer is supposed to be having it, but we're stalled at the moment on getting it out from my place.

Tim

Comment

I'm really tempted to buy that, but it looks almost too clean, as if there's something to hide.
                Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                  Different animal, the CVA is a precision toolroom lathe and spindle size isn't it's main worry. .

exactly, if its anything approaching Monarch quality, scrap out what ever lightweight you have and grab it. I don't know these lathes - are they the same quality John? I mean a clone could mean its the same form factor, but that doesn't speak to materials, fit and finish.

a old 10ee awaiting its turn for restoration is sitting in the garage, and man what lathe. smaller work envelope than my standard modern but 3x the weight, everything beautifully made.....is there a man out there who from that would pass on the Monarch because its close to the same size as the Standard Modern It'd be like passing on the 500SL because its roughly the same size as the Miata
                  in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Not to steal the post but:

John:
                    "It attracts the wrong kind of work. Why have to crane 1 tonne rotors into position when you can lift a job up one handed and get paid the same ?"

Exactly how I feel. Got a rotor in the shop now with a bad bearing surface.
                    It's about 400 lbs so crane etc. And being a one man shop means a lot of ducking around....
                    My SN50 is used for about 30% of the work
                    Where the Colchester (bow your heads when you say it and Lion
                    do the other 60-70% of the Smaller work.Work that one person can chuck and turn out quickly.
                    In the time it will take me to set up that rotor, I could have 2-3 jobs done with more $$.
                    e
                    please visit my webpage:
                    http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Just called the chap for a chat - a very nice genuine fellow by the sounds of him. It's fitted with a 2hp single phase motor and tops out at 2200rpm. I've took the footprint dimensions off him and am just going to make a cardboard template to see if it'll fit round the corner into my workshop.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Don't forget my 10%

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.
                          Just called the chap for a chat - a very nice genuine fellow by the sounds of him. It's fitted with a 2hp single phase motor and tops out at 2200rpm. I've took the footprint dimensions off him and am just going to make a cardboard template to see if it'll fit round the corner into my workshop.
                          Check that it'll actually reach that 2200 with the 2hp motor They went up to 4hp motors with the Series III, which has a 3000 rpm option, I reckon it needs the 4hp to get there!
                          Of course 3hp single phase motors are easily obtainable if the 2hp won't hack it.
                          One of mine has a 4hp single phase motor, they're not very common and it does need a 32A supply to get up to top speed (2200 again)

Tim

Comment

Cheers Tim.

Bit of a moot point now as the blasted thing isn't going round the corner at the bottom of the alley nor the one to get it in the door

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Bugger it no 10%.
                              Don't you want a third CVA Tim ?

Comment

Working...
                              X