No announcement yet.

Anyone fancy a 10EE for £750 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm trying hard to fight the GAS syndrome that I suffer from ....(Gear aquisition syndrome.. that is)...

Its tempting...I can see how owning a 10ee or even a good clone would keep the GAS calm for a week or two...

but I already own a DIN 8605 "toolroom-lathe accuracy".....the maximat V13...and I know its not in the same class as a 10ee or cva...certainly not weight wise...but the v13 is a joy to use and very accurate..

If my primary job was running a machine shop then owning something like a cva would make sense...but I dont...my machines support my day job in electronics and as such there not used heavily...sometimes cleaned more than used..

I've owned my L5 26 yrs since I was 16 and it now gets all the dirty jobs...which is where owning a heavy duty beast like a TOS make sense to me..

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
      Don't forget my 10%

John , I will glasly give You 15%. Of course that would have to include delivery .

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by MrSleepy
        I'm trying hard to fight the GAS syndrome that I suffer from ....(Gear aquisition syndrome.. that is)...
        life is better when you succumb to the urge
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Don't you want a third CVA Tim ?

Been there, done that. Mind you, keeping three was never in the plan, the third one just hung around for longer than expected.

Tim

Comment

Im pretty sure I cant fit another one in
            Peter Neil probably *needs* one though
            Dave
            Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

one thing I have noticed about CVA'S , they are all 30" between centers, this is an incredibly rare option on a 10ee.

Comment

Originally posted by small.planes
                Im pretty sure I cant fit another one in
                Peter Neil probably *needs* one though
                Dave
                Oi!

Nothing wrong with my Colchester, I don't have CVA envy at all....

Comment

Ironically if it was a Colchester [ hawk spit ding ] it would fetch double that.

OK Mister...He says as the chest expands, and the flinging of poo and forest detritus starts; what's your beef with Colchester!? I'm a happy and proud owner of that brand of rust!!!

Comment

Originally posted by millwrong
                    OK Mister...He says as the chest expands, and the flinging of poo and forest detritus starts; what's your beef with Colchester!? I'm a happy and proud owner of that brand of rust!!!
                    I have a friend who once said "Colchester?We have five of those at work,one of them even runs"
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Blaspheme on the board again.
                      You guys better be Bowing your head when you say COLCHESTER.
                      please visit my webpage:
                      http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.
                        I'm really tempted to buy that, but it looks almost too clean, as if there's something to hide.
                        It's been recently repainted with a brush. A freshly repainted machine tool is almost always a bad sign...
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Why is a CVA or 10EE so cheap when compared to a Myford Super 7, which while they are an excellent lathe are not in the 19EE class by a long shot. I don't know what they cost new in Britain but I have seen them for sale here for close to $13000.00.
                          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
                            Why is a CVA or 10EE so cheap when compared to a Myford Super 7, which while they are an excellent lathe are not in the 19EE class by a long shot. I don't know what they cost new in Britain but I have seen them for sale here for close to $13000.00.
                            Two people can pick a Myford up and put it on a bench, as regards why the CVA is so cheap I can't answer that but I'm just grateful they are

I wasn't being funny when I say that the Colchester will fetch double the money, some makes, Myford, Bridgeport, Colchester seem to have a popular mystique about them when there are far better machines that usually go cheaper.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
                              As John said it's a size thing.
                              Most model engineers look at a CVA and think it's much too big for their shed/single garage*, so go for a smaller "trusted" make or an import.

* It is too big for mine (I only have room for a stubby 20" b/c lathe)

Comment

I too thought it was not a great paint job as the plates were left in an original condition which contrasts badly.
                                Like Tim Leech I also have doubts that it will reach top speed with only 2hp.I knew a guy with a 2hp motor on one and he struggled to get 1500 rpm.
                                Mark.

Comment

Working...
                                X