Any ideas for Christmas gifts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas for Christmas gifts?

I was wondering if anyone had some good ideas/pictures for some quick easy projects to machine for Christmas gifts. Thanks

I had always thought of doing a chess set, one set of pieces being aluminum or stainless and the other set brass or ampco. You could make a wood or a metal chess board.

One thing I did for my wife a few years ago (when I was working in a factory) was to make a brass bell on the lathe, and then I made a stainless steel handle for it (although it could have been wood). I tapped the end of the handle, inserted an eye, and used a lead fishing weight for the clapper. I then had something romantic engraved on the brass and she loved it!

I have also been working on some simple wooden clocks- you can get the guts at Woodcraft, they go into a 2 3/8" diameter opening. Your imagination is the limit as to what you put them into. The base could even be aluminum instead of wood (much of the stuff I do craft wise is determined by the scraps I have at hand).

How's that for ideas?

Comment

A post card. Draw your own.

Comment

An oil candle always goes over big with the ladies. I make these out of bits and pieces out of the off-cut bin:

Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Ooooooooooooooohhhh

Me like. All women on my christmas list, 'cept Pappy-in Law. A couple boxes of ammo and a jug will make him happy.

So, these oil candles are way cool. Any more info? Links, drawing, etc?

Thanks, TC

Comment

Here's a project Evan did a while back and donated to a charitable auction I host for a friend. It sold for $275 and that buyer donated it back to the auction, so it stands to make a very nice super-sized contribution to Eddie's physical therapy.

http://eddiekieger.com/cgi-bin/ek3au...lry&1257906871

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke
              Me like. All women on my christmas list, 'cept Pappy-in Law. A couple boxes of ammo and a jug will make him happy.

So, these oil candles are way cool. Any more info? Links, drawing, etc?

Thanks, TC
              Tim I posted a thread way back in early 08 that sorta kinda shows how this was made. If you want any more details drop me a PM. I could do a step by step with pics of most steps.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=28714
              Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Working...
              X