Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Not Stare at Flashlight with Remaining EYE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Not Stare at Flashlight with Remaining EYE.

My latest project is a lightweight high power LED flashlight. We both have grown tired of the very bright but very large and heavy 8 BILLION CANDLE POWER flashlight we use to check on the yard at night. This one is just as bright and a lot nicer to hold. Run time should be around half an hour on 4 NiMH AA batteries. It uses 3 Cree Q5 LED 200 lumen modules.

All of the light in this scene is from the flashlight. It is so bright it actually turns the air blue. As far as I can tell there is no smoke in the air and we don't have any other sources of pollution. It must be scattering from the air molecules the same as it does to make the sky blue.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

That's not a flashlight - it's a vulcan death-ray!

It's fantasic Evan, I see the handle you were machining a week or two back, wondered what it was for.

Superb!
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Colour me impressed, I'm just waiting to get a few more $$$ into my paypal account and them I'm going to order a few of these.
      Skint at the moment as my paypal account only gets topped up when i sell something and I need to get sorted and get a load of crap [ sorry very desirable goods ] on Ebay.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

"Set Phasers to stun"

Nice light,you should go into production,that could easily fetch a good price on the shelves.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.

It's fantasic Evan, I see the handle you were machining a week or two back, wondered what it was for.
          that was the first thing i noticed as well.

i like that, Evan. how does the light compare to something like normal 120V 120 watt spotlights?

andy b.
          The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

It's 15 watts of the latest and brightest LEDs on the market. Of course that will change in a few days. These LEDs seem to be about 3 times more efficient than an equivalent quartz halogen lamp per watt of input. That is because virtually all the output is in the visible spectrum. That makes it similar to a 50 watt halogen bulb which is what is used in most of the handheld TRILLION CANDLEPOWER lamps.

There is a problem with selling something like this as a commercial item. The light source is so small that the energy density is far higher than an equivalent incandescent bulb. It really isn't eye safe and could attract a lot of liability.

Comment

I've got a 5 watt flashlight that I made the mistake with the other night of trying to find a tick on our WHITE west highland terrier.

Been snow blind ever since.

Evan, that is an amazing device!

But when will you set up an IR perimeter?
              Len

Comment

Evan could you give us the SKU of that emitter please?

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

It's SKU 11621 @ $8.69 each.

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11621

Comment

But when will you set up an IR perimeter?
                    Not a far fetched idea. It seems that we now have a cougar living on this hill with us since earlier this year when I first spotted it. It has killed an alpaca, a sheep, a goat and robbed a neighbour's squirrel trap as well as hunting the local deer. The deer have adopted the strategy of staying as close to the house as possible much of the time. This flashlight is bright enough to seriously dazzle a predator with (formerly ) good night vision. I am considering making one for the smoke pipe.

Comment

Thank you. I will order a handful of them tomorrow. If anyone in the UK wants to tag some on my order please let me know via PM.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Take note: I reported this when I first received and tested these modules. They are rated to 18 volts BUT they seem to use a shunt regulator. This means that if you run them at much more than about 6 to 7 volts dc they become very hot. 12 volts is too much to easily heat sink the waste heat. They run best on 4.5 to 6 volts.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I plan to run at least two of them on 3.7V mobile phone batteries which are plentiful & cheap.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

They will operate acceptably down to about 3.4 volts at reduced brightness. At 3.7 nominal they will produce about 70% brightness judging by the current. That is still plenty bright.

Comment

I used these units in goosenecks for machine lights running on my small hybrid solar-windmill 12 volt system.At 10 minutes of use the heat problem seems acceptable but maybe I need to use a resistor for longer use time?

Comment

Working...
                              X