Hydraulic rams.What grade of steel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic rams.What grade of steel?

Any idea what grade of steel these are likely to be?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CHROME-BAR_W0QQitemZ290364201234

Seems cheap, but what do I know.

Nev
    Nev.

You can specify it if you have cylinders made or reconditioned. We were having trouble with the ends of rams snapping on some of our machine, and had some made with softer rods, but then they tended to bend more. I have no idea what the materials were unfortunately.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

http://www.alro.com/SECPromos/Promos_Chrome.htm

No guarantee it's the same though!

Comment

The rod we used it the plant I worked in was 4140 Sometimes we would get a order for cylinders used in marine applications they were stainless don't remember what grade but boy was it tough to machine work hardend really easy.

Comment

Most crome is 1045 shaft under it.

1045 is good shaft, nothing wrong with it.

Comment

A shop I used to work in years ago would take on hydraulic repairs occasionally. We would have to tig up scratches and file them down to repair wear lines. Then send them off for plating.

The shop super used to call it "CPO"...Chrome Plated Oil hardening shaft.

I took that to mean chrome plated 4140 perhaps.

I have used it to make hammers from. It machines ok... I would heat it to critical, quench in oil and then draw it back to about 750F...like a spring.

Cheers
            Mac.

Comment

Most good quality chrome shafting is of the 41/40 variety, if these off-cuts were used for making rams that were to be fitted to earth moving machinery, then it's got to be 41/40.

First and second photo shows ends that have some rust on them, now by the look of the scum on the chrome as well as the rusty ends, it's been outside for a bloody long time. So my guess would have to be 41/40.

If it was 10/45, then the rust would be big scaly bits, instead of that close cropped rusty colour, as 41/40 will rust, but it tends not to form the big scaly bits, as 10/45 does.

Mark

Comment

You will have to ask whether it is induction hardened or not....If it is induction hardened you will need a stout lathe and special carbide inserts to machine it, and a cut off saw to cut it.. Inductioned hardened rod is hard as...
                Precision takes time.

Comment

Working...
                X