Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metalmagpie
    replied
    here is the exact link to the video of the guy's bowling ball welding table made from 2 disc brakes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OnF6_V28DM

-metalmagpie

Leave a comment:

• Gazz
    replied
    Here's a floor mounted one with hydraulics!

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=242831

Leave a comment:

• MrFluffy
    replied
    Interesting, Ive got to change the swivels on my landrover soon, and I'll have a pair of these to "throw away" as I will change them for ptfe coated units as theyre more corrosion resistant.
    Can you imagine what I'd use these for?

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    Years ago we had a vacuum base vise. Set it on a clean smooth surface and pull a lever- the rubber base was pulled up and sucked the vise down. It would hold for awhile, longer if everything was clean and air-tight. You could do the same by using a gasket around an opening to seal the ball, and an airtight compartment under the gasket. You can make a simple vacuum supply that works on air pressure, or you could use a hand-powered vacuum pump. I have one that's derived from a bicycle pump. Air powered would be simple though, and it only requires a shot of air for a few seconds to create enough holding power in vacuum.

Leave a comment:

• gzig5
    replied
    Originally posted by 38_Cal View Post
    That vise is a Chinese copy of the old Versa-Vise that Brownells used to sell. I wore one of the Versa-Vises out probably six years ago, and got one of the copies, since the manufacturer ceased production. Brownells copied it too, and sell their made in USA copy as the Multi-Vise for $300 retail. I've got one of them, too, and the Chinese copy is almost as good as the original, with the Brownells version a distant third. IOW...save yourselves some grief, the offshore version's better than the American one, in this case at least!
    It looks like the Versa-Vise is being made in the US by another vendor. He is selling them on ebay for $50 plus $20 shipping. Shipping seems a tad high, but they vise is cheap so it may work out. I tried to order one on ebay but had reached my paypal sending limit until I link to a bank account and sign over my first born. They have almost 100 sales on ebay with positive feedback. Anyone tried this version?

http://versa-vise.com/
    ebay link
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-VER...item1e7700005b

Leave a comment:

• alchymist
    replied
    Thought I'd resurrect the thread with a pointer to another site where I posted some stuff concerning a bowling ball vise......

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...03#post2886303

Leave a comment:

• bruto
    replied
    Continuing in the vein of "what kind of bowling ball vise can you throw together in a half hour?" here is another version.

Ingredients are a bucket with some ballast in it (plumbing junk in this case), a base from a metalbestos chimney, a small flange of unknown provenance, threaded to 3/8 inch, a piece of 3/8 inch threaded rod, and a piece of power line hardware that just happens to be vise-like, and which I'd been wondering what I ought to do with. And, of course, a bowling ball. Sorry, Jacquie, wherever you are, your ball is forever after out of balance.

Just a hole in the ball, tapped to 3/8, and the rest is obvious. The chimney base has a bit of bite on the ball, so for light work holding, etc. it stays pretty well.

Leave a comment:

• bruto
    replied
    Originally posted by andy_b
    How much would the reach be reduced if the vise was mounted next to the ball? If you have something 12" long and want to clamp it upright, just clamp it at an angle and rotate the ball.

andy b.
    Probably so, but with the plates I used, the ball does not rotate terribly far over. Ideally the hole in the top one would be a bit bigger, so it would sit further down on the ball, but this is a 100 percent "found objects" exercise. So the long stalk, combined with the long jaws, sticks out far enough to hold something vertically with its end on the floor when the vise is mounted sideways, and also gets a bit more height when horizontal. Aside from that, I didn't want to cut the nice piece of round stock I used unless I have to.

I'm sure there are better ways of doing all this if one takes time and effort. this was a quick evening time-waster. I have a few more old bowling balls, so I may try a few other things when there's nothing better to do. I like the idea of milling a flat on top of one.

Leave a comment:

• andy_b
    replied
    Originally posted by bruto
    Together, they end up making a quick and dirty bowling ball mount for the vise. I left the stalk long, because I'd rather have the reach than the stability.
    How much would the reach be reduced if the vise was mounted next to the ball? If you have something 12" long and want to clamp it upright, just clamp it at an angle and rotate the ball.

andy b.

Leave a comment:

• Walter
    replied
    Thanks PTSideshow.

That Monster Ball Vise I REALLY like. Definitely going to have to make something like their floor model for myself one of these days!

Leave a comment:

• PTSideshow
    replied
    Here is a heavy duty welding and positioning vise.
    monster ball vise

Leave a comment:

• bruto
    replied
    Well, this thread got me thinking. I have a Versa vise that I broke a couple of years ago, and migged back together. It's workable, but really only suitable for positioning work rather than heavy holding. So to make it more useful for welding and the like, I scrounged up a bowling ball, a piece of 1 1/2 inch stock, and rummaged around in my barn until I came across a couple of sheet metal flanges of unknown origin, and a little wrought iron tripod ring also of unknown origin. Together, they end up making a quick and dirty bowling ball mount for the vise. I left the stalk long, because I'd rather have the reach than the stability. The flanges can be adjusted for tightness. I might modify it some time either with springs on the bolts, or with one bolt replaced by a cam lock - perhaps a bicycle quick release skewer - so it can be locked into position. [IMG][/IMG]

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Color me stupid, but what on earth would you use a vice like that for??? As far as a socket is concerned, make a wooden box big enough to have about 2" clearance on the ball on all 4 sides and the bottom and deep enough to come about 5/8 of the way up the ball. Make a thin cardboard partition to divide one side of the box from the other. Coat the ball, the inside of the box, and the cardboard divider with 3 or 4 coats of paste wax to act as a release agent (Don't polish the wax after applying it) . Fill the box to the top with "fiberglass entrained polyester bodyfill" (the long haired type). Let it set for a week.---Tear the sides of the box.---A good tap and a bit of compressed air around the edges will seperate the "socket" into two halves.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by gary hart
    TMT, you didn't indicate what your uses were. An idea to make it versatile would to a flat say about 5" in diameter on the bowling ball.
    Make an adapter plate and bolt a vise to the adapter plate and then bolt the adapter plate to your bowling ball.
    The bowling ball will rotate and tilt. Thinking might be nice to have the work close to center of ball for a more ridgid set up.
    You could have extra adapter plates. Maybe one drilled and tapped with series of holes for hold downs. Maybe another with pitch for holding work. Maybe another for a different type of vise.
    Thanks for posting this.

I am looking for ideas as to the mount to place on the bowling ball "joint" so it is an universal mount for different vises and fixtures.

This is a good idea...has anyone implemented it?

The devil is in the details.

TMT

Leave a comment:

• andy_b
    replied
    Originally posted by gary hart
    TMT, you didn't indicate what your uses were. An idea to make it versatile would to a flat say about 5" in diameter on the bowling ball.
    Make an adapter plate and bolt a vise to the adapter plate and then bolt the adapter plate to your bowling ball.
    The bowling ball will rotate and tilt. Thinking might be nice to have the work close to center of ball for a more ridgid set up.
    that is kind of what i'm thinking of doing. i guess i should pick up a bowling ball and work on it over the winter.

andy b.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X