No announcement yet.

Need Some Inspiration: Machine Tools and the Deep South

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well you could start with the main cash crop after cotton and after the War of Northern Aggression

Timber,many of those old factory and mill buildings built north where constructed of long leaf yellow pine,heart pine if you prefer.Till this day 60% of the nations timber supply originates in the 13 southern states.

As a result quite a bit of inovation in that industry originated here.One example was Soule Steam Feedworks in Meridian,Ms.Infact the Mississippi Industrial Heritage Mueseum will be throwing it's annual Livesteam festival there this weekend.

http://www.soulelivesteam.com/history.html

Then there would also be shipbuilding.Men like Andrew Higgins and places like Avondale shipyard who's latest claim to fame is the USS New York.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...aves-dock.aspx

Then there would be the space program,most of it is located well south of the Mason Dixon line.

One of my neighbors-

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/stennis/home/index.html

What they do there-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZGjHeI_hj8

Saturn V's back in the day,turn up the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3sVuFjJlp4
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I will second NASA. The nwork done for the space program, trainers and rockets set the stage for most of CNC today. Without this work, the technology probably would have developed, but this certainly accelerated it by decades.
      CCBW, MAH

Comment

And if you're looking at Sloss, look too at Tannehill just on the other side of Birmingham. I hit the iron and steel museum there at least once a year...

Comment

Yeah, but we didn't much care about it in 1861 either. You have to go quite a bit south to get good solid Southern culture. pretty much to Tennessee.

We're schizos.

Comment

The reason that NASA facilities are located in the southern states is purely scientific. The closer you can place your launch facility to the equator the more velocity you gain when launching to the east. That velocity is contributed by the rotation of the Earth. That made Florida the only candidate for the primary launch facility. Other facilities such as White Sands and Edwards AFB are located to be compatible with the orbits of spacecraft launched from Florida.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Most of NASA and the home of the space shuttle is Huntsville Alabama, not Florida, Florida is the launch station not the building facility. The Saturn V rockets were built and tested in Huntsville at redstone arsenal. along with most of the rockets NASA has used. The space station had a large chunk of it built and almost all of it assembled and test fit there. Redstone arsenal was located where it is due to a large chunk of Bedrock that sits under the arsenal, that and Muscle shoals was the only source of gunpowder the US had after WWI due to the nitrate mines. Henry Ford tried to buy the whole county that Muscles Shoals is in back in the early 1900 due to this. NASA chose Huntsville due to the arsenal, the topography, and the scientific community that the arsenal brought.
              Last edited by Mcruff; 11-04-2009, 06:29 AM.

Comment

The Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville was selected with one primary consideration above all others. There had to be a way to deliver the Saturn 5 parts to the cape for final assembly. They were barged down the Mississippi to the Gulf and then around to the Cape. The sections were too large to move by any other means so that limited the choices to facilities with water access to the Gulf of Mexico. East coast facilities carried too much risk of bad weather during shipping from locations farther north.

The overriding factor in the placement of NASA facilities has aways been the issue of transportation of components and the location of launch facilities. Everything else must come second to that. It isn't optional.

Comment

Perhaps an avenue of exploration would be the extent to which Southern industry has been dependent upon Northern industry, the historical reasons why heavy industry did not develop in the South as it did in the North, etc.

Give a thought to the furniture and textile manufacturing industries, both mostly defunct now. Although most of the machinery for these factories originated in the northern states, quite often local support industries would spring up.

What are you using as a definition of "South"? The Mason Dixon Line? The states that had joined the Confederacy? Or places that have grocery stores that sell grits?

Comment

Tying in machine tools to the agricultural revolution is probably a very safe bet to gain a good grade. I doubt that many students have visited the subject and it isn't any sort of stretch to make it work. There is also no doubt that it applies to the "Deep South" of the USA as well as all other areas that can be considered the South.

Comment

Saw a thing on the History Channel about how the stills in South indirectly started NASCAR as a famous race car driver got his start running white lightening. It's a fascinating topic. Taxes impacted cost of whiskey which caused the booze boys which caused the rum running and hot cars to out run the cops and hence NASCAR. Synchronicity?
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                        Saw a thing on the History Channel about how the stills in South indirectly started NASCAR as a famous race car driver got his start running white lightening. It's a fascinating topic. Taxes impacted cost of whiskey which caused the booze boys which caused the rum running and hot cars to out run the cops and hence NASCAR. Synchronicity?
                        And marijuana and meth is having the same effect today.

TMT

Comment

I`m in the deep south. Ship yards on the coast Alabama . Mississippi and Louisiana . Oil industry Texas and Louisiana Cotton gins every where . along with paper mills and plywood mills and the forest industry. They all take machine shops to support them . With some research you could do a good paper. We aren`t as dumb as most folks think.
                          Last edited by lane; 11-04-2009, 06:20 PM.
                          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

I have been to the n.a.s.a space canaveral space centre in Florida many times it is a great day out especially if you have children there is so much to see.One evening when I was living in Orlando we saw the news that shuttle I think it was had just been launched we went outside that was a site to see the whole sky was lit up you could see the power of that rocket move on up through the sky,and a very clear evening to watch I am glad I saw it.Although it was a long time ago.Alistair
                            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
                              I thought I'd like to work machine tools into mine, but I'm really not familiar with the "south" in terms of industry.
                              Well, that should be brief . Was there any machine tool industry in the South? I don't think so, not any the 20th century anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcruff
                                The Saturn V rockets were built and tested in Huntsville at redstone arsenal. along with most of the rockets NASA has used.
                                You must be thinking Mercury/Redstone rockets.The Saturn stages were assembled at the Michoud facility and the engines tested at what was then NSTL(National Space Technologies Labratory) in Hancock Co Mississippi which is now John C Stennis space center.They have also done all of the shuttle main engine testing since jump.
                                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                                X