Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Other than Toyota who makes a good car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Other than Toyota who makes a good car?

I've been buying Toyotas (not exclusively Toyotas) since 1978. I think they make a really nice, reliable car. We bought our 6th new Toyota a few months ago.

To make a long story short I've been dealing with a total CLUSTER FU(% at Toyota Financial Services for over 2 weeks now. We did absolutely nothing wrong. They hosed up some IT conversion of our account and those of who knows how many other customers. Good luck to anyone else affected. Their screw up *may* be corrected by the end of this week but I'm not holding my breath. They admit it's all their fault and all I keep hearing is, "I've never seen anything like this happen before." They're tripping all over their tongues apologizing but it's not enough.

Who else makes a nice, reliable car? I'm thinking about switching to Honda or maybe even Volkswagen if I can find a VW that's highly rated by Consumer Reports magazine.

What I'd really like to find is a nice car that has a good diesel engine.

My wife would like to look at the Honda CRV. The CRV with the diesel engine is supposed to be extremely popular in Europe and a heck of a good vehicle but Honda won't introduce the diesel version here. They were supposed to for 2010 but that's been stopped.

Any good recommendations?

Thanks,
    Dan

Honestly, you can get a good deal on a new "American-made" car these days. Chevy and Ford have been consistently rated well these last few years in terms of quality. I'm sure some of their vehicles are still lemons, but it might be worth checking out.

I know the local police department bought up a bunch of Cobalts a few years ago and they've been very happy with their performance and reliability (or at least that is the word from one officer).

My sister and her father-in-law purchased new Chevy trucks - one is a 2007 and the other is a 2009. They are very well made and pleasent to drive. It's still too early to say much about their longevity, but based on what I saw, I'm optimistic.

Just a thought... I'm still driving around an '89 Chevy, so take my advice for what its worth

Comment

Get a VW Polo. Apparently they are really tough.

http://noolmusic.com/youtube_videos/...commercial.php
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Of course, my first choice would be to buy American.
        Second choice would be a Honda of some model.
        They really think about the details and have good engineering.
        --Doozer
        DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
          Get a VW Polo. Apparently they are really tough.

http://noolmusic.com/youtube_videos/...commercial.php
          audi
          mark

Comment

I recently rented a Hyundai Santa Fe. I think the Korean cars have become much more comepetitive. It is a very nice car and less expensive than Honda or Toyota.

Comment

I would never buy an American made car, all the ones I see around here are so poorly made I doubt I could reach the steering wheel from the drivers seat.

Comment

Why would you let a temporary screwup at the financing arm of Toyota turn you off on their great cars? The two are totally unrelated operations.

Roger
                Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

We loved our old Accord (1994). We now have a 2003, and... not so much. The interior squeaks a lot, and it shudders under heavy braking. A guy at the local tire dealer told us he's heard that a lot. According to him, all the newer Hondas do that (Edit: he was talking about the shuddering, not the squeaking). It is really annoying.

However, it has 77K miles on it, and has never needed a repair beyond normal maintenance, brakes and such.

-Pete
                  I just like to make stuff.

Comment

I grew up in a Ford family. My dad worked at the Mercury plant in St. Louis for a while.

I drove several Fords over several years and got burned so badly I learned to despise Fords. The best Ford I ever owned was a 1993 Festiva. It was designed by Mazda, built by Kia (in Korea), and as far as I know the only thing Ford about it was the little emblem on the hood. After just a few years Ford orphaned the Festiva and I couldn't get replacement parts that I needs.

I've seen many good reviews for Ford products but I just can't stand the thought of buying one.

I've thought about Chevrolet and might go that route.

At this point I know many of the Hondas are top notch vehicles. That's why I'm considering them but I'm open.

If Mercedes made a highly rated vehicle I'd really be tempted but Consumer Reports makes them sound really, really bad.

Comment

I'm on my third VW passat ...never had a problem..except that the latest models bigger..less room to manouvre down the drive...

Rob.

Comment

In a Small car, the Honda Fit is excellent. IF you need traction, Subarus are great machines. I like the new Forrester and US built Legacies.The Mid sized GM's are good cars. The Saturn Aura is supposed to be good....and gone as a brand. If you want high performance in a mid sized car, the Pontiac G8 made by Holden looks interesting, especially wih GM LSX power. Toyotas are becomming less and less appealing to me. They are marshmallows when it comes to handling. The Chev Impalla is a good car as is the Malibu. I like the Nissan Versa when it comes to space utility and ride/handling.
                        The new Focus has been selling well, but ultimately I don't trust Fords.

If you go Euro, I like the base model BMW 3 series. Great machines IMHO.
                        I have owned a VW for 15 years (3 Corrados) I do not trust VW electrics. The new Golf GTI is very cool though. I would avoid Mazdas in general. Hyundai has made huge strides in my opinion.
                        Avoid car salesman and never make up your mind with them around.

Happy Hunting

Comment

We like Toyota here too, now if you can hold out for a honda diesel you would do well.

I know VW made some rabbit diesels long ago and folks have them running on fryer oil still today. Not sure what you can get from VW here in the states now. I do know a VW will haul azz. the Jetta may come in a diesel and thats the cats meow. its like 50 MPG and will hual azz.

have a look at the jetta, my dad had one in the early 80's and it would outrun fast cars, you could bury the speedo in 3rd gear, grab two more gears and hold it down and do 20 miles in about 9 minutes . man that car was fun.
                          Last edited by tattoomike68; 11-03-2009, 05:39 PM.

Comment

My two cents....I won't buy European or Japanese cars (that includes Korean and Chinese cars too)
                            I have worked on and repaired damn near every kind of car made in the 45 years I turned wrenches. Reliability and parts availability mean a lot.
                            I know most people don't take those into consideration, but eventually, you'll have to have somebody fix it. And with five-year financing, it's always nice to have a car that will be paid off before you need major repair work.

To begin with, we'll leave Chrysler/Fiat out of the equation. Chrysler has been on a steady decline long before the Nazis took them over, and couldn't drop them fast enough. I was really surprised when Fiat stepped in to purchase a percentage of Chrysler. (BTW, The UAW (United Awful Workers) own a controlling share of Chrysler...so much for that)
                            Ford has been actually posting profits lately (mainly because most of the C4C clunkers were Fords, and Ford sold the majority of clunker replacements after the Japanese) But, unbeknownst to most consumers, Ford stayed solvent at the expense of the Ford employees, and stiffing several suppliers demanding payment. (most Ford mechanics have plenty of work, but can barely make a living)
                            GM has taken it's knocks. They used to be the number one manufacturer in the world, no questions asked. They're out of bankruptcy and have been making a fierce effort to climb back on top of the heap. GM's cars and trucks are solidly engineered, with great backing from the factory. (GM doesn't buy their engines and transmissions from somebody else)
                            Nobody else offers a 60 day return policy on their products...nobody, not the Europeans, the Japs, the Koreans, or the Chinese.....or Ford.
                            They must have a lot of faith in the product.

I drive a Chevrolet. I've never had a problem with one. My last sixteen cars and trucks were Chevrolets. minor problems with some....but I got them fixed without applying for a bailout from the Feds. Every GM car I ever owned lasted long after it was paid for. Most were driven an insane number of miles, and sold to somebody who's probably still driving them.
                            I never lost money on a GM car. In fact, I once owned one of GM's biggest lemons...the Chevy Vega. I drove it for years, never had a problem, and sold it for twice what I paid for it.

I knew Chrysler and Ford were in trouble when I saw they were putting toolboxes in the bed rails of their trucks (Dodge) to hold emergency flares and tow ropes. Ford offered a heated tailgate, so your hands don't get cold pushing one. Government Motors? I don't think so....
                            No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

I am driving a Chevy pickup now, and the last two cars I have had and really liked was Subaru. They are rated high and great performance and economy.
                              Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

Working...
                              X