Brightening and maintaining copper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brightening and maintaining copper

I'm working on assembling a large copper manifold, and made the mistake of brightening part of it after soldering with a scotchbrite pad.

It looks so good, that I'm considering shining up the entire assembly when done.

Two questions:

First, will a coat of lacquer isolate it from the air and keep it bright?

Second, is there a chemical product that will remove the tarnish without having to abrade it?

Thanks.

Clear coat will have to be re-done from time to time. Clean the copper with citric acid or cherry falvored kool-aid.
    Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Originally posted by chief
      Clear coat will have to be re-done from time to time. Clean the copper with citric acid or cherry falvored kool-aid.
      Is there a better long-term solution than clear coat, or is it more realistic to just let it tarnish? Why does the clear coat have to be redone...porosity in the coat?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead
        Is there a better long-term solution than clear coat, or is it more realistic to just let it tarnish? Why does the clear coat have to be redone...porosity in the coat?

Thanks
        The junk in a spray can for $4.00 eventually wears off. The POR-15 people make some brush on/spray stuff that will last. I use it on aluminum exposed the the elements.

http://www.por15.com/PELUCID/productinfo/PELG/
        Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

My mother had a silver dollar dated the year she was born made into a necklace, but it was prone to tarnish. I cleaned it real good with silver polish warmed it up a bit in the oven then rubbed it down with tung oil. It never tarnished again.

Patrick
          I never did see her wear that gaudy looking thing, either. LOL

Comment

dilute hydrochloric acid (masonry cleaner) will get most of the tarnish and green corrosion off....it will then be a sort of pink colour that has to be polished up.

with it being on a hot engine any lacquer will quickly turn brown.

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
              dilute hydrochloric acid (masonry cleaner) will get most of the tarnish and green corrosion off....it will then be a sort of pink colour that has to be polished up.

with it being on a hot engine any lacquer will quickly turn brown.
              This is not an engine application, but rather a large radiant floor heating distribution manifold, with relatively low temps of about 120 deg. F. The main manifolds are built up from discrete 1-1/4" dia. cu Tees.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

I have used a spray on clear coat on the copper on some of the oil lamps I make. I have never had to respray it and it never has to be polished again Finger prints just wipe right off. Generally I use a rustoleum product.
                Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

I used Nyalic on polished aluminum (billet for you car guys, lol). never polished it again!!! Their web page lists copper.... http://www.nyalic.com/
                  Feel free to put me on ignore....

Comment

Tile Cleaner

The hardware stores sell a crystalline power that is mixed with water for cleaning tile after grouting. I had some extra and tossed a dull penny it, it looked like it was straight from the
                    mint when I took it out. This may be a terrible idea for your application though.

Comment

The standard chemical copper cleaner contains oxalic acid. My wife has a large collection of copper and that is what she uses to clean it. It works well but it won't last forever. I personally hate any of the clear coats. Any sort of ding or flaking can't be fixed without somehow removing the entire coating and starting over. In my opinion an even layer of light tarnish looks better.

The method that many professional conservators use to protect a bright copper finish is to coat the object with a hot wax finish. The best wax to use is hard paraffin wax of the type used to make white dining tapers.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Ketchup, believe it or not.

Comment

ZEP has an aerosol called Iron Clad that holds up well and it's fairly invisible after drying.
                          http://webfiles.acuitysp.com/psr/zeppsr/psr_0152.PDF

Comment

To clean copper we always used a solution of warm vinegar and salt. Just rub it on and rinse well with clean water. Don't know how to protect it though.

neonman

Comment

Originally posted by Evan

The method that many professional conservators use to protect a bright copper finish is to coat the object with a hot wax finish. The best wax to use is hard paraffin wax of the type used to make white dining tapers.
                              Very strange that you should mention that Evan, boy, you sure are showing your age, , jewellers have been using that wax trick successfully for centuries.

Comment

Working...
                              X