• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch the galactic core rise over TX

Ok, this is pretty darned cool.

very neat, thanks for posting it

Comment

Only time you see a sky full of beauty like that it is usually so cold out you cant stand it.

Comment

It won't play on my machine. Probably some security setting I have tightened. I wish I could see the Milky Way from that far south. The best parts aren't visible here at all. Apparently in the southern hemisphere in a dark sky location the Milky Way can be bright enough to read by and even cast shadows, so I have been told by a professional astronomer I met.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I've no doubt your audiolumitron would go nuts if it were watching sky when that video was shot (series of still shots put in motion). You need to keep a sacrifical machine handy - a virtual machine will work without giving up the security on the host machine, and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
            It won't play on my machine. Probably some security setting I have tightened. I wish I could see the Milky Way from that far south. The best parts aren't visible here at all. Apparently in the southern hemisphere in a dark sky location the Milky Way can be bright enough to read by and even cast shadows, so I have been told by a professional astronomer I met.
            That is true.

Comment

I have several virtual machines installed, linux and windows. Trouble is I am nearly always running so much stuff open that I would have to go through ten minutes of saving and closing stuff before I could start a VM.

Comment

There is also some interesting insight into how and what was used in the taking of this video in the comments section.
                Beyond me but still very interesting.

EDIT:
                Also, be sure and watch it in full screen mode..........beautiful, and you also can see shooting stars, yes I know they are not stars but meteors.
                Last edited by Ken_Shea; 11-04-2009, 11:25 PM.

Comment

I have several virtual machines installed, linux and windows. Trouble is I am nearly always running so much stuff open that I would have to go through ten minutes of saving and closing stuff before I could start a VM.
                  Well then, you need one more

Comment

I found the photographer's site - it's available as an mp4 file here:

http://www.wlcastleman.com/astro/tsp...se_720x480.mp4

Comment

<Smacks self on forehead>

Duh. Sitting just the other side of my workstation is the new netbook I bought for these occasions.... I'll have a look later but right now I have some machining to do using a new technique...

Comment

Ken,

How do you get full screen? I know I've done it but forget how.

Cheers,

George

It is wondrous.

Comment

Thanks Tony, that was awesome!
                          Wish I coulda been at that one, absolutely beautiful!
                          I had no idea that it was so much nicer down south.
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by gmatov
                            Ken,

How do you get full screen? I know I've done it but forget how.

Cheers,

George

It is wondrous.
                            George,
                            click the four little dots at the very bottom right of the black video screen, to the far right of the blue video progress bar.

Be prepared for a whole new look

Comment

George, hit the little arrows icon in the extreme lower right hand corner of the video screen.

OOPS, Ken beat me to it.
                              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                              X