1000 watt inverter mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1000 watt inverter mod

this is a xantrex 1000 watt invreter from ctire, anyhow i got it from my buddy the other day , was not sure what was wronge fiquired it was a fuse , well these things are not made very friendly when it comes to replacing them , dule layer soldered board an how turnned out all 4 were fried so i tred to unsolder did not work so i took out the trusty needle nose pliers and wiggled them till the left their stems behined , this owuld give me both lawyers and i can solder some wires on and so on , any how i can now just change the fuse 1 ata time by just pulling of the lead connectors , ,now had they built this thing right they would have used sockets and then the user could just changes the fuses as needed , so now its proper and perfect , tomorros test will be to see if all this work is going to pay off,

How are the output transistors on that thing- good or fried?

I hope it works out for you. Things like that have a habit of not being very repair-friendly.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Not one capital letter and not one period. Did you text this from a cell phone?
      --Doozer
      DZER

Comment

it is a little difficult to understand exactly what you did. Do I gather you replaced the fuses? or the outputs?

Usually, fuses in those blow because of a "real" problem. Once every few years maybe the fuses will be the only bad thing. Who knows? you might get lucky, but usually, no.

In most cases, the semiconductors in those inverters are sized and set up to just do what is required, no more. When a fuse in a "minimum standards" unit like that blows, it is usually not a good sign, 98% of time there is a dead output, or several.

I see several 30A car fuses. Definitely not a good sign if all of them were blown.

Generally those inverters have two stages. The first is a "DC to DC" stage which converts 12V battery voltage to a high voltage DC. The second stage produces output AC from that high voltage DC.

The transformers visible in the bottom of the picture are probably in the DC to DC stage.

Faults may occur in either stage, and such faults may blow the fuses (and some semiconductors) whether they are in the high voltage or the low voltage section.

Usually, fixing requires access to suitable replacement parts, and some shrewd guesses about the circuit.

But, you might get lucky....... don't count on it.....

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
          it is a little difficult to understand exactly what you did. Do I gather you replaced the fuses? or the outputs?

Usually, fuses in those blow because of a "real" problem. Once every few years maybe the fuses will be the only bad thing. Who knows? you might get lucky, but usually, no.

In most cases, the semiconductors in those inverters are sized and set up to just do what is required, no more. When a fuse in a "minimum standards" unit like that blows, it is usually not a good sign, 98% of time there is a dead output, or several.

I see several 30A car fuses. Definitely not a good sign if all of them were blown.

Generally those inverters have two stages. The first is a "DC to DC" stage which converts 12V battery voltage to a high voltage DC. The second stage produces output AC from that high voltage DC.

The transformers visible in the bottom of the picture are probably in the DC to DC stage.

Faults may occur in either stage, and such faults may blow the fuses (and some semiconductors) whether they are in the high voltage or the low voltage section.

Usually, fixing requires access to suitable replacement parts, and some shrewd guesses about the circuit.

But, you might get lucky....... don't count on it.....
          for the under educated here, fueses will also blow when you try and push these units as well , 2 out lets for AC means 500 watts max per out let if you are trying to use up all the watts on one outlet you frie the fuses, i did some research on these units and others and they are all set up the same the watttage is split to each out let so its alot fo false advertizing as to the wattage in my books, If you are going to make say a 3000 watt unit make it put out that wattage even the running amps woujld be nice if it was say 2800 then you get what you paid for, the way they are making them and splitting up the wattage you are buying 2 small inverters in one case, for the cost go buy a genney and get it all out of one plug even if there is others its usualy not split like these invereters are, , i have a 300 watt inverter as well its is got 280 watts runing and one outlet for ac so i got what i paid for there,
          this on i have now was free and i like free when you get to experiment on them and see if it can be repaired, or not,, the chances any other damage was done is slim but if it has further damge them thats ok no lose to me and i learned something in the process, its the first time i ever had to tear into one of these things and iam happy i got the chance to i always wanted to know what makes them tick,, perhaps i can make it even better and more stable,,,

personal note never tell me i cant do something, chances are pretty high ill prove you wronge every time,, and get off my nuts about my spelling if you have nothing good to say then say nothing... getting on my case all the time pisses me off and makes me that much more not to correct, negitive attiude brings negitive results with me..

Comment

personal note never tell me i cant do something, chances are pretty high ill prove you wronge every time,, and get off my nuts about my spelling if you have nothing good to say then say nothing... getting on my case all the time pisses me off and makes me that much more not to correct, negitive attiude brings negitive results with me..
            It displays a common lack of courtesy. You want help but you won't take the time to communicate clearly? You figure it out.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

", and get off my nuts about my spelling"

No one said a word about your abominable spelling.

--Doozer
              DZER

Comment

"for the under educated here,"
                You're kidding...right?
                Sorry...I don't get it. How hard is it to push the Cap key at the start of a sentence? And the little "dot" button at the end of a sentence?
                Do what you want but you will always run into criticism about your spelling if you hang out on public forums.
                You may be as smart as you claim...but your writing makes you look lazy and takes away from any credibility you may have.
                I'm not very well educated neither either...jist mosely a dumm hillbilly....but I keep a dictionary beside my computer HTML writin machine and at least try to spell mosta the stuff kerrecktly.
                Lighten up...the guys are only trying to get you to better yourself.
                Russ
                I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Airsmith. Just a quibble: your messages are hard to read. No periods and no caps makes your text a tough translation instead of smooth reading in plain English. Your spelling needs some work too - you used "lawyers" instead of "Layers" and that really threw me. We all misspell from time to time - haste makes typos - but yours sets a new standard.

Don't get upset if people call attention to flaws in your text. We are all friends here seeking info from the common pool of knowledge. Anything that interrupts the flow such as no caps, periods, and misleading spelling interfers with understanting the question and those who would like to help you.

That's a quibble only so please don't get defensive. We aint the Government; we really are here to help you.

I can't help you with your inverter problem but I notice a few things. First is your attempting a fix on what is to me equipment intended to be thrown away when broke. Good luck to you but I think a fix on this stuff where nothing is made repairable may be an uphill struggle - installation of sockets where no board real estate is alotted for it etc.

You mounted fuse receptacles on leads as an expedient which should work just fine but you should be aware that some boards have internal layers easily damaged by physical force and also that de-soldering equipment is available at low cost to home experimenters from Radio Shack and eBay. Suck away the solder and the device leads come right out. Look into solder wick as a first step.
                  Last edited by Forrest Addy; 11-07-2009, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by airsmith282
                    for the under educated here, fueses will also blow when you try and push these units as well , 2 out lets for AC means 500 watts max per out let if you are trying to use up all the watts on one outlet you frie the fuses, i did some research on these units and others and they are all set up the same the watttage is split to each out let so its alot fo false advertizing as to the wattage in my books, If you are going to make say a 3000 watt unit make it put out that wattage even the running amps woujld be nice if it was say 2800 then you get what you paid for, the way they are making them and splitting up the wattage you are buying 2 small inverters in one case, for the cost go buy a genney and get it all out of one plug even if there is others its usualy not split like these invereters are, , i have a 300 watt inverter as well its is got 280 watts runing and one outlet for ac so i got what i paid for there,

Well you've about cooked your goose with me, pal....... I didn't criticize your spelling etc, but I DID mention that your post was hard to understand.

It was.

1) I happen to actually design inverters, boosters, and related controls. Generally bigger ones with transistors the size of paperback books, but I have designed, made, or repaired a number of those little ones also. That doesn't make my comments perfect, but a lecture I don't need.

2) I have yet to see anyone successfully fix an inverter of that sort without any schematics etc, who was not already quite familiar with their operation and typical designs. I have seen several folks try, and have completed the job for some of them.

3) Yes, it is possible to overload the unit and blow fuses. But since those are primary-side fuses, in the high current area, blowing them means that very high stresses were already put on other parts of the unit, since most units have rather effective protection and current limiting that typically is set below the fuse rating. if the fuse blows, in a properly designed unit, there is generally a problem. As I said, you might get lucky.

4) It would cost them quite a bit more to have two independent outputs , one for each outlet. That type of design would surprise me, but there is obviously no reason that units of that type cannot be made.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

personal note never tell me i cant do something, chances are pretty high ill prove you wronge every time,,
                      You can't use a spell checker, go on prove me wrong.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                        You can't use a spell checker, go on prove me wrong.

I can use a spell checker I just choose not to , 97% of the time

Comment

I can use a spell checker I just choose not to , 97% of the time
                          Please let us know when you are posting that 3% of posts so we can read them and ignore the rest.

You can't be bother to conform so why expect us to ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

ok drum rool please , well ok we hooked up the battery to the inverter and I never even gota chance to turn on the power switch and all 4 new fuses also blew , so i guess she is shot to hell and not going to bother with it,

oh well it was worth a try but i guess its got more issues then just fuses , and i dont have the time to find out what else is shot in it, but at lease the mod for reaplceing the fuses was a good idea, just to bad its compplety shot would have been great for powering my shop lights and my mill..

onto the next ideas

Comment

See only a 3% chance of it working, now if you had used a spell checker........................................... .....

Comment

Working...
                              X