vises and grinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vises and grinders

Is a Wilton vise any good? Is a Jet grinder any good? Friend just bought these and wondering if these things are worth the higher dollar than the chinese stuff.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

They are Chinese stuff.

Comment

Amazon rates a particular model above average but the reviews tell the tale.Those who work beyond the level of weekend warrior are less impressed.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63302-6...owViewpoints=1

Not applicable to all Wilton models, of course, so it's in the live and learn category. If you tie flies with it you'll be happy but if you forge full scale brontosaurus femurs from shorts in your spare time you may be disappointed.

Comment

Wilton makes excellent vises. They also make a cheaper line that you probably don't want.

Look for the specs on the strength of the material--you want the 60,000 psi vise, not the 25,000 psi model. For a good Wilton, you can expect to pay several hundred dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by rantbot
          They are Chinese stuff.
          Ouch! Party pooper :-)

Comment

Ha, we were just looking at the vise and grinder he bought- both jet products, though I thought one was a wilton, but anyway no matter. I told him that I was going to stick a bolt in the vise off center then tighten it as tight as I could. If it didn't break, it would probably be ok. So that's what I did, and it didn't break.

Turns out it's 30k cast iron, like virtually all the vises we looked at on the innernet.

The grinder looks to be a step or two above some of the garbage out there, though still not anything special. At least it's not one of those that takes a full minute to get up to speed like one that another friend has.

For the intermittent and light duty use they will get they'll be fine.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Jet is a Taiwanese company. Their machines are usually quite a bit nicer than the run-of-the-mill mainland Chinese stuff. I had the Jet 4x6 H/V bandsaw, and it was pretty darn nice, which is not surprising since they made castings for Wilton's bandsaws for many years.

Jet bought-out the Wilton Tool Group years ago, and these days just about all companies rebrand stuff from China, so if it's a low-end price point, it's probably Chinese.

On the other hand, the last time Wilton vises were discussed on PM, someone mentioned that Wilton still sells the heavy duty, Made in USA bullet vise. I have one from 50 years ago, and it's fantastic. Caveat Emptor.
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

If the vise looks like this, its made in the USA

Comment

Can't really say. Before Wilton became just another marketing brand, their reputation was excellent. Now, who knows what it means. As with Jet, depending on exactly which item you're talking about, quality may range from extremely good to ...not so good.
                  ----------
                  Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                  Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                  Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                  There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                  Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                  Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I have a Wilton woodworking Vice as yet I've had it about two years and not yet built the table I dream of someday it looks nice but that goes for noting best of luck Alistair
                    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Vise MOuonting

Cuemaker
                      You need to learn how a vise should be installed on a workbench. Move it out to the edge so a long vertical part can be clamped in the vise.

JRW

Comment

I know its supposed to go to the edge,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by J. R. Williams
                          Cuemaker
                          You need to learn how a vise should be installed on a workbench. Move it out to the edge so a long vertical part can be clamped in the vise.

JRW
                          I was going to comment on that as well. But...I refrained as I noted that he is using that preformed particle board counter top and it is unsupported at the edge.

You are right...it does seriously limit the vise when mounted that far back.

Cheers
                          Mac.

Comment

Here is a pic of my method for mounting my vise...

It is solid and has no wiggle.. You can't pull the bench over this way...

Cheer
                            Mac.

Comment

Working...
                            X