YATSDRO (Yet another tailstock DRO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YATSDRO (Yet another tailstock DRO)

Inspired by dockrat's thread, I finished my tailstock DRO this morning. Pretty much the same as his but the ram to slide connection was made via a couple r/c helicopter ball-links. No problem with ram rotation binding anything.

Works great. Wish I'd done it long ago.

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Looks great DB. Neat idea but do you actually have ram rotation in yours? I can't detect any rotational movement in my ram at all.
    Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Thanks dock. Unfortunately my ram does rotate about 3/32" measured at the ball link attach point. Take a look at the pristine green paint on the tailstock and you can see it's been used a bit.

The groove in the ram is fine; it's the little index peg that's worn. S'pose I could make a new one...naaah, too lazy.
      Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Yes, nice job DB, good thinking on the little RC helicopter link,

Curious, does, the indicator show different measurement throughout the rotation?

Ken

Comment

Nice job,I like the ball links idea,that should have several applications.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Good question Ken. I just did a little test to check and was surprised.

Maybe I should quote all the dimensions and have a contest to see which math whiz could do the trig correctly and come up with the closest answer?

Naah, I don't wanna waste even more bandwidth giving birth to yet another thread argument.

The answer is .0025 Chinese inches. I pressed a drill bit up against a piece of stock in the chuck, rotated the ram all the way C/CW, zeroed the DRO and rotated it CW to come up with that figure. It was repeatable.

Doesn't matter as long as I rotate it CW and zero before starting a drill op. I don't usually need that much drill depth accuracy anyway but it's nice to know it's there when needed.
            Milton

Comment

Hmm my ram rotates a little stock from the factory.. a new index pin you say? hmmm. Project # 1512 initializing....
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
                The answer is .0025 Chinese inches. I pressed a drill bit up against a piece of stock in the chuck, rotated the ram all the way C/CW, zeroed the DRO and rotated it CW to come up with that figure. It was repeatable.

Doesn't matter as long as I rotate it CW and zero before starting a drill op. I don't usually need that much drill depth accuracy anyway but it's nice to know it's there when needed.
                That's not much, and doing as you mention negates even that.

Comment

Working...
                X