needle files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• needle files

I am looking to buy a good set of needle files and have done some research.

You can find these in the very cheap and inexpensive to the very expensive range - Nicholson, Simmonds, and other no name asian imports.

I ran across a name that I was unfamiliar with and was wondering if anyone is familar with the brand name Tome Feteira made in Portugal.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

I've never used or seen Tome Feteira - where are they priced at?

I guess the advantage of the cheap is that they're cheap, no biggy if you don't like them I like the good ones, recently gave away probably a hundred cheapos that I had accumulated . over the years bought enough stuff that i ended with a good selection of good and cheapos. Like most tools and cutting tools I'm a big fan of quality and believe through careful purchasing, ebay, kijiji etc you can acquire quality for not much more than the junk.

The other thing is the cut. I like the finer ones as when its needle file time I'm usually doing finer work, I would speculate that producing good teeth on a fine needle file is probably something more likely to happen with the expensive ones, grades go 0-4 with 4 being the finest....i find its the 4's that I like the most.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Feteira was a new name for me when I ran across. The only catalog listings I have been able to uncover are for European based companys and they list sets of 12 at around 50 UKP so price wise that kind of puts them in the middle from the cheapest to the priciest that I have seen.

I have of late been using hand files more and more. The more I practice the better I get and the more I want to use them. I recently gave a bunch of older but decent quality hand tools including all the needle files on hand to my grandson as he indicated and interest in building model cars.

Files certainly have their place but most seem to want to spend and hour setting up a machine to do what can be done in 15 minutes with a handsaw and a selection of files.

cheers, Graham

Comment

Best files I have used are swiss and are usually the most expensive, but outlast all others.

Try Here

http://www.grobetusa.com/files/swiss...dle_files.html

Oh by the way Tome, may as well be cheese.

Steve Larner

Comment

Steve,

yes indeed, good files are expensive.

The more I read and poke about at various web sites and catalogs the more confused I get. I have seen the Grobet site and their Habilis brand of files - kind of like a 4" file and an in between size between traditional needle files and larger hand files and they look like they just might fit my current needs with a couple of select needle files to cover my current wants.

Who would have thought that I would have spent so much time on what seemed like a simple task of finding some decent needle files.

cheers, Graham
          Last edited by GrahamC; 11-07-2009, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamC
            Steve,

yes indeed, good files are expensive.

The more I read and poke about at various web sites and catalogs the more confused I get. I have seen the Grobet site and their Habilis brand of files - kind of like a 4" file and an in between size between traditional needle files and larger hand files and they look like they just might fit my current needs with a couple of select needle files to cover my current wants.
            They (Habilis ) are good, my Favourite for light work.

Steve Larner

Comment

Grobet are very nice files and readily available on Flea Bay at good prices.

Cheers,

BW
              ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
              Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
              http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Grobet are the best.... They cut 6x better than any other file I have ever used at any time.

Super easy to work with, they seem to cut by themselves, where the cheap ones have to be forced. The Grobet you hold back, you never need to force them.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Surprised no one mentioned the Nicholson set, have had a set of these for many years and they are fine files, no experience with the Grobet for comparison, however, they are good files, very good.

Link only for picture or price comparison.

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtool...ss_pattern.htm

Comment

I have been using Vellorbe for a while now, because thats what the supplier we use has, they seem good, but not sure how they compare to other brands.

Comment

http://www.titantoolsupply.com/store...58&catid=19730

Gene

Comment

Working...
                      X