Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP Veritcal to Horizontal conversion done in basement shop

[/IMG]

I couldn't find the old "shop screw-ups" thread but had to share.

Mill sat on maple moving dolly for who knows how long, over a year I know that. Jacked it up off the dolly set it down on some 4X6 PT blocks and went up stairs for dinner. about twenty minutes later the whole house rumbled with a REALLY BIG............THuNK!

One of the 4X6s split across the grain and made the machine list a "tad' too much.
    Last edited by oddball racing; 11-08-2009, 02:52 PM.
    Bricolage anyone?....one of lifes fun games.

Well ..., I guess that's an appropriate title for this thread.
    But not exactly what I expected.

At least no one was hurt.

Comment

Holy cow! And that's only a regular-sized. If that was my Webb, there would be a hole in the floor. It's 3,500 pounds.

I'm glad you weren't anywhere near it when that happened. It's a lesson to all of us when moving such heavy machines.

Ha. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought somone had come up with a cool new modification for a Bridgeport that I could spend some more money on.

Comment

Oddball,

I'm glad you're okay, but there's a tear running down my cheek for machine parts underneath.
        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

OUCH!!
          Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Well two things-

#1 It's a perfect example of the difference between a furniture dolly and a machinery dolly.

#2 Now is a great time to add a coolant sump in the bottom.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Oh man that sucks. I hate to ask but was the table already slid over or did it get a rapid adjust over in the fall?

Comment

Well...

I always wondered what the casting looked like under a BP mill. Now I know...thanks!

It looks as if it stripped the threads out of the table nut. Did it shove that table to the left when it fell?

Oooof...the damage... It is fixable...but...it is just money.

This is one reason I never trust wood. When it comes to supports for anything...over build..and use too much material... Think steel.

Glad you weren't standing near by when it fell...you may have been killed.

Cheers
                Mac.

Comment

Hey...

I keep looking at this picture... Letting it all soak in.

What the heck is that up on top of the shelving ...that looks like a fire?

Is there some sort of open flame heater running up there ?!?!

Cheers
                  Mac.

Comment

wow, glad no one was hurt. what is PT; what was it sitting on that let go?....ah ball just dropped, pressure treated. there's the problem, softwood, good for nuthin PT

Comment

MCM: You just made me take a trip downstairs to see what was "on fire" in the pic. I had never noticed it before. Turns out it is a reflection of the light of the wood-shop half of the shop's pinkish-orange insulation.

As to the damage, yes we did have a "rapid traverse of the table" to the left.

Over a year before, I had brought it to the basement down the bulk-head stairs. In the process I had removed the table and the head "just in case" so it didn't get bumped by anything. After putting the table back on I decided to retrofit a single phase motor to the BP housing rather than buy a VFD.
                      So the head was spared any damage by not being on the machine.

As to the table, the hand crank broke it's handle and bent it's ball end.
                      That in turn pushed the lead-screw through the cross nut breaking the little retainer and 6-32 screw keeping the cross/split nut intact by allowing it to slide on the key, then the whole shaft punched the bearing and it's retainer right out through the table end cap.

Parts to replace: 1) handcrank, 1) 6-32 screw, make a little retainer gizmo(20 mins.) Make a new bearing retainer out of Aluminum because thats all it had well, that took an hour or so. Then I spent another half hour with the dial indicator and the vee blocks on the screw. Other that that, on the crashed down side of the machine was an electrial box that pretty much sacrificed itself to provide some "cushion" for the crash.

I also wacked a big dent in my pride.
                      Bricolage anyone?....one of lifes fun games.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Moving machine tools is challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by oddball racing
                          That in turn pushed the lead-screw through the cross nut breaking the little retainer and 6-32 screw keeping the cross/split nut intact by allowing it to slide on the key, then the whole shaft punched the bearing and it's retainer right out through the table end cap.
                          That had to have bent the leadscrew.

You can actually find the Bridgeport leadscrews on Ebay for not a large sum of money.
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Damn, I feel for you. That had to be a real ah sh*t moment. A few years ago, real riggers face planted our new Chiron VMC while moving it 18 inches. In the following years the maintenance crew has moved it just fine all over the shop, our score riggers 0 Maintenance 4.

As earlier mentioned, your screw maybe screwed. May or may not be a biggie. I have a new screw waiting for me to find time to install it since a failure (since fixed) knife edged it in middle of travel do to a bad oiler.

I'm hoping the adjustment screws for backlash let go, nut retaining screws if not split, before you bent the acme screw.

You didn't get hurt nor did a loved one, so count your blessings.

Clutch

Comment

I'm surprised that cheap dolly held that 2000+ lb mill up for so long. I can't believe you could even move the mill around on it.

As to the boards breaking that you put it on, I am having trouble picturing in my mind how the boards were stacked so they would be able to collapse.

Every time I move a machine and especially mine I am extremely careful. It don't take much to tip over these top heavy machines.
                              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                              X