Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out of Touch - Impact Set Recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of Touch - Impact Set Recommendation?

So it's been a while since I've priced hand tools. My set consists mostly of Craftsman with a little Snap-on, Proto, Armstrong, and S&K mixed in. I find that I really like Armstrong products and Snap-on products, but Snap-on is prohibitively priced for my budget. (What Snap-on I do own was won at a Skills USA competition).

So, what are some of the other good brands out there? I'm looking for a set of small metric impact sockets, must have a minimum size of 6mm and include a 7mm socket. I'd like to find something comparable to the older Craftsman tools - something in that price and quality range.

What's wrong with new Craftsman? Or, if you are only going to use these on a semi-regular basis, just buy some from Harbor Freight. I don't think I've ever seen a 6-point socket break or round off unless you were really abusing it (or they were the biggest pieces of Chinese junk I had ever seen).

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Stanley/Proto/tools are a good tool
      http://www.stanleyproto.com/default....tCatalog=PROTO

On the must include the 7mm is a reminder of how much it annoys me to see tool sets skip sizes. Usually don't see that in the higher quality sets though.

EDIT:
      Meant to add:
      Your out of touch?, I am re-opening my auto repair again after 12 years and 32 years in the field before that, WOW, prices have changed, and the companys that I used to deal with have changed too. not for the good IMO.
      Last edited by Ken_Shea; 11-10-2009, 11:10 AM.

Comment

On the must include the 7mm is a reminder of how much it annoys me to see tool sets skip sizes.
        Even more annoying is the fact that they skip the most commonly used sizes and load you down with the odd sizes that you'll never use!

Comment

shameless plug for me.

look up ozat. made in mid east. excellent qualty, priced about the same as proto, order individual. i discount about 20%
          davidh

Comment

You might want to go to Lowe's and check out the Kobalt hand tools. I like what few of them I have. I assume they have impact sockets in Kobalt brand.

I bought my DeVilbiss impact sockets and tools there before they started selling Kobalt. Maybe they still have DeVilbiss. I dunno.

FWIW,
            Dan
            Last edited by pgmrdan; 11-10-2009, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Martin and Williams both make good stuff,also an import brand Fabisa.

For chrome sockets I buy Stanley,never have busted one and less than $25 for a FULL set from 3/8-1"

I also have a Gearwrench set,the pass through kind.They don't fit everywhere,but boy do they come in handy on long full threaded bolts.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

The "Husky" name tools at the HomeDepot are actually pretty decent.
                I have bought several of the wrenches and sockets from them with the Husky brand name. I also have Craftsman and Snap-on.

Steve

Comment

Another brand that is very good quality and reasonably priced is Grey Pneumatic, http://www.gpsocket.com/. Every tech in the shop I work in has at least one set of GP sockets and there have been no complaints. My set is holding just as good as my Snap On stuff and in our environment we wear sockets out on a regular basis. They are imported but very well made. The Mac and Matco dealers sell them but you should be able to order them online.

On a side note many of the Mac and Snap On brand tools are now made in Taiwan but sold at domestic made prices. Last month I bought a new Snap On 3/8" ratchet for $80 and it does not say USA on it anywhere, found out it is imported. I don't mind paying for quality tools but at that price and sold under that name it better be made in the USA. That will probably be the last Snap On ratchet I buy as I can go online and buy any number of other brands at 1/3 the cost and have it here quicker than waiting for the tool dealer to show up. I think that Snap On, Mac and Matco choosing to start manufacturing their tools overseas might be a bad decision with the ease of purchasing the internet provides. The only reason I was buying from the tool dealers was I could get USA made tools.
                  Mark Hockett

Comment

Youre not going to believe this but the impact sockets from HF are actually really good.

Comment

Buy SK, pay for qaulity and cry once.
                      Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                        Youre not going to believe this but the impact sockets from HF are actually really good.
                        Your right, I don't

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                          Originally posted by Ken_Shea
                          Your right, I don't
                          I picked up standard/deep SAE/Metric sets from HF maybe 10 or 15 years ago, all for 30 or 40 clams...And I split all of 1 deep socket, and that's because it was repeatedly used as a drift.

Andy

Comment

Impact sockets are from large amounts of *soft* steel thats more flexable.
                            Exactly what you expect/get from chinese.. everything.

Hand sockets are thin walled to get into tight spots and be lighter to carry around, and well hardened. Chinese.. Don't seem all that great at making thin hardened things that don't explode :P

I believe this is why the import impact sockets are decent, because impact sockets themselfs are just normalish steel and dirt easy to make.
                            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by murph64
                              I picked up standard/deep SAE/Metric sets from HF maybe 10 or 15 years ago, all for 30 or 40 clams...And I split all of 1 deep socket, and that's because it was repeatedly used as a drift.

Andy
                              Andy,
                              And these impact sockets, you use a HF impact gun

Just messing with you Andy, although, I was in the auto repair trade for over 30 years, my experience with cheap impact sockets and a quality impact gun was not so good.
                              Perhaps, things have changed since then.
                              Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X