does kerosene dry up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does kerosene dry up?

When I was coating my metal roof with aluminum roof coating, the stuff seemed t be too thick so I thinned it with Kerosene. Now I am worried that the stuff won't dry. Some parts of the roof are still sticky after two days. Is that normal?

I would bet that the distillates in the kerosene will eventually evaporate out, but you did mix them in and as such they have to re-separate from the other solids. A nice sunny day or two should help.

Paul
    Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL

Comment

if you've used the clear zero odour stuff ..it may not

one of the things i noticed about it when spilt, was that it didn't evaporate quickly ..also had a lot of surface tension.

all the best.markj

Comment

I would say yes, it's nothing to be concerned about.
        Back in the spring I had to do some patching around the flashings of some skylights to stop some occasional leakage, and that stuff was still tacky after a week or two. And I hadn't thinned the stuff at all.
        The roofing cement I used was not aluminum, but just the black asphalt stuff. But I'd think they'd be pretty similar.

Of course the drying will depend a lot on the temps and amount of sunlight, which this time of year is diminished in both duration and intensity.

Comment

Only problem I see is that kerosene (parafin in UK) is a short chain wax and it may not be compatable.

Peter
          I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

It will dry out. Give it a week or two. If you leave a kerosene lamp with the wick extended and exposed it will be empty in a few months.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Hey, the stuff was used as paint thinner for years! Sure it will dry out but it wont happen real fast. I saw some Rustoleum paint thinned with Kerosene last summer by a guy painting and old garden tiller.

Comment

Rustoleum paint

The Rustoleum literature recommends a fish oil thinner that they make. Other thinners may work but not as well.
                Byron Boucher
                Burnet, TX

Comment

Kerosene has a vapour pressure 1/6th that of water, make you own deductions.

Phil

Originally posted by mikem
                  When I was coating my metal roof with aluminum roof coating, the stuff seemed t be too thick so I thinned it with Kerosene. Now I am worried that the stuff won't dry. Some parts of the roof are still sticky after two days. Is that normal?

Comment

Originally posted by Boucher
                    The Rustoleum literature recommends a fish oil thinner that they make. Other thinners may work but not as well.

I didn't say it was recommended for that or even that it was a good idea just that it frequently has been used for that purpose so it must dry out.

Comment

Working...
                    X