Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange part in Bridgeport X-Axis Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange part in Bridgeport X-Axis Drive?

Currently have my Bridgeport model 6F Longitudinal Power Feed Assembly (X-axis drive) torn down for an oil leak. The drive has a three position lever at the top of the drive (left-neutral-right) to activate the drive. The lever is attached to a shaft which passes through the drive housing and exits at the bottom. The bottom of the shaft resides in the housing holding the electronics located under the mechanical drive housing. It is connected to a cam that activates microswitches.

It appears a fair amount oil is leaking between the shaft and the lower shaft bearing, allowing oil to douse the electronics and leak out. In breaking down the drive to determine the cause of leakage I came across some sort of rubber 'seal' on the shaft that didn't appear to fit correctly. This 'seal' is not shown on the Bridgeport exploded parts diagram (pictures to follow).

Is anyone with experience in these drive mechanisms able to tell me if this 'seal' is some sort of half-a** fix by some Gomer drive guy, or some sort part of an update fix by Bridgeport? I bought the mill used and it was made in the mid-80's.

Thanks,

Fred

It looks like the boot for an oil seal on a small block Chevy. Translation-Gomer.
    Jim H.

Comment

For a 30 year old mill it was an OK fix but now you need to upgrade the fix with a common found seal and method.

I know a big ol blob of rubber is not much of a seal but you can make some nifty thing and fix it.

make a little housing for that bushing thats got almost no suport and bore that housing for a real seal. if you have to make the housing have 2 seals and an O ring compessed flange to keep the oil away for the electrical, machine an extra surface or two to get it done right.

Anytime I see oil over electrical I know its bad. my dumb old toyota van had the power stearing over the alternator, as soon as oil leaks its hell on the alternator.
      Last edited by tattoomike68; 11-10-2009, 07:44 PM.

Comment

It looks like the boot for an oil seal on a small block Chevy
        In retrospect, I think you nailed it, Jim. Kinda' looks like a valve stem seal for a small block Chevy! Especially when examining the inner diameters of the seal. The outside diameter of the bushing was nowhere near sized any of the the inner diameters of the seal.

I know a big ol blob of rubber is not much of a seal but you can make some nifty thing and fix it.
        Good point, Mike.

Thanks for responding, guys.

Fred

Comment

That seal is an OEM item. The same thing is in my power feed. It is available from Machinery Parts Depot and others. It does look like a Ford umbrella valve stem seal but is much thicker. It actually is an overgrown PC (Perfect Circle) valve stem seal. It seals positively against the shaft and the bushing. Measure the bushing OD and the shaft OD, then look in a Perfect Circle piston ring manual. They list the PC seals by size of valve stem and valve guide OD.

Comment

Different ways of sealing a shaft.

There are some medium speed rotating seals that would be better described as a slinger. That kind of looks like some that I have seen.
            Byron Boucher
            Burnet, TX

Comment

Yeah, I'd say it's a drip ring (for lack of the proper word for it). Oil can drip off the bottom circumference into the cavity and not simply run down the shaft and through the bushing into other areas.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
              X