Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to buy wire for making motorcycle cables ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy wire for making motorcycle cables ?

Cannot find anything here in AUS. I am after top quality wire for motorcycle cable making. I have the ends, sheath ... just need wire.

Would someone be so kind and direct me to supplier ?

tom

http://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-rope/=4gdrg0

They have 18 different styles of wire rope, in 5 different materials, ranging from .006 to .625" diameter. Might be something that would work there.

Jon

Comment

How about stainless steel aircraft cable or the kind that is used for other uses like what in the US is called wire rope. See my post cardboard tube storage Granted it isn't the same thing, but I replace lawn equipment garden tractors cables with it all the time. It comes in assorted number of wires and sizes. here it is generally sold by chain suppliers.
      Glen
      Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
      I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Balustrade supplier. Do you want stainless, gal or what?

Nev
        Nev.

Comment

Thanks very much. Typical motorcycle cable wire is 1.5mm in diameter.

Comment

If you want stainless, there's plenty on Ebay in various sizes.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_...All-Categories

Nev
            Nev.

Comment

You can get 1.5mm here.

http://www.nobles.com.au/productlist...=2&cid=12.html

Nev
              Nev.

Comment

I much prefer to use the 7x19 mil spec cables on my bike, especially the clutch cable (not something you want to break in rush hour traffic damhik)

Comment

Stainless would be nice but you'd have to silver solder it. I prefer the standard cadmium-plated steel. With a proper coat of lubrication on it, there won't be any corrosion.

Bike cables seldom break in the middle. 99% of the time, it the ends that come off. A good fit, proper spreading of th eends and a good solder job and they will last indefinitely.

Another good trick that I learned from my years spent racing in the desert is to install a spare cable next to your clutch cable. When the first one breaks, the other one is already in place. You cold also do that with the throttle cable, although most bikes nowadays have two cables, a pull and a return. Something about safety. LOL.

Backup is good on a bike. I recall that the two stoike riders would drill and tap their cylinder heads for a spare spark plug. Strangely, an unused plug n a cylinder head won't foul. When the first one fouls, you only needed to stop and move the plug wire. I never understood that.

In any case, spare cables can't hurt.

Comment

Don't forget to grease your nipples!
                    Paul Compton
                    www.morini-mania.co.uk
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

Google it or ask on the ADVRider forum. There is a place you can get any cable or sheath you need. I can't find the link right now, but if/when I do I will post it. BTW, depending on what bike you need cables for, greasing may or may not be appropriate. At some point BMW cable were changed to a teflon type of sheathing and greasing causes dirt to stick, sticky cables and eventual premature cable failure.

Dennis

Comment

www.fdrive.com.au/products/02/dashcontrols.php
                        bowden cables, stainless are good
                        mark

Comment

http://www.flanderscables.com/

Everything you'd ever want for motorcycle cables.

If doing throttle cables be aware that there are a couple different ways that they do the cable strands, and one of them is a lot stiffer than the other which can make for a surprising amount of drag in the cable if it has to go through an elbow to get into the carb.

IIRC the 1x19 strand is the stiff one compared to the 7x7 strand.

cheers,
                          Michael

Comment

Working...
                          X