Did you know...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you know...

...that the size of the solid rocket boosters on the space shuttle is in part determined by the size of a horse's back end?

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nerailrd/trivia.html
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Probably has something to do with my hats size too. ;-)

Comment

Did you know...

... that's not true?

Doc.
      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Doc,

I think that article makes the case for the opposite, look at this quote from your site.

"The eventual standardization of railroad gauge in the U.S. was due far less to a slavish devotion to a gauge inherited from England than to the simple fact that the North won the Civil War and, in the process, rebuilt much of the Southern railway system to match its own:"

And the Norths system was the same as the British system which was based on the width of oxcart ruts based on roman axle widths...

Although it might be more accurate to the rocket boosters size is "limited" by the size of a horses back end..

Michael

Comment

Maybe that's why horse's asses outnumber horses.

Comment

B.S.the standard guage width was devised to minimise the amount of right away that had to be bought or siezed to construct the railway,a wider spacing would mean larger radiuses in turns which equals more acerage.

Also I remember seeing a documentary on Thiokal and the ASRM'S,seem to remember the diameter as being 10'6" od and 20' long per each section of motor and 120 tons,but I may be wrong,seems they also used rail travel south to port(maybe Houston)then barge to the Cape where they are assembled and raised into verticle postion and the ignitors installed,very interesting anyway.

They test the shuttle main engines just about 15 miles from my back door as the crow flies,ground rumbles,windows rattle and sounds like continous thunder for 300 or so seconds,the real neat thing is if you can get in for one of the night tests,last one I witnessed we stood about 1500 yrds away from the test stands,the noise would magic finger your ribcage and you would feel like you were jumping up and down while you were standing still,very impressive.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

wierdscience, what I'd really like to see is a Saturn V launch. Supposedly, the things were so loud that if you were within a mile of the launch pad, the sound pressure would turn your insides to jelly!

------------------

Comment

Another thought about the tunnel sizes being a factor....many things that are concidered a hazard are shipped around tunnels rather than through them in case of accidents... better to have things out in the open to get to them in case of trouble instead of sealed in a hole where you can't get at them.

Walt
                Walt

Comment

Railroad history? ONE of the causes of the civil war was the routing of the rail road to the pacific. Tax payers paid for the road. The money men preferred the difficult northern route (apparently Abe Lincoln bought (or was given) stock at North Platte, Neb before he was president but while campaigning). Southern States wanted to build on the more level ground, and be closer to rail roads (which meant markets). The war intervened.

Think of how the western history would have been with out the cattle drives to the north during the years after the war. No Dodge city, and like towns. No year long drives where the "cowboys" relaxed by violence.

Even more important, no Mobilier scandal, and maybe no mountain locomotives- which were a sight to behold.

Comment

Working...
                  X