• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gears

Hi Guys,

Picked up a Harbor Freight 9X20 lathe.
    I was going to do a gear change on it.
    Took off the clips but the gears would not pull off with hand pressure.
    Thought I would ask how others do it before I did more then hand pressure.

The South Bends I used only needed slight pressure to get there gears off.

The manual is clear as mud about the gears. Does anyone have a detailed manual as HOW to do it?

Thanks,
    Vic

When i got my import 10x18 lathe, the gears had that awesome, sticky red "grease" all over them, and it was sticking them onto the shaft. it took a lot of force to get them off, then once cleaned they slide on and off easily. Im not sure if you are experiencing the same problem, but thats what i had to do.

Comment

My gears had 'burrs' on them when I first got my lathe, I had to use a gearpuller to pull it off! you MUST pull on both sides equaly, or rock it off like a fraction of a mm at a time. After about a dozen gear changes though the burrs eventualy wear down and the gears will just push on and pull off (Till you put it on slightly crooked and it binds, but whatever)
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
        My gears had 'burrs' on them when I first got my lathe, I had to use a gearpuller to pull it off! you MUST pull on both sides equaly, or rock it off like a fraction of a mm at a time. After about a dozen gear changes though the burrs eventualy wear down and the gears will just push on and pull off (Till you put it on slightly crooked and it binds, but whatever)

That's the experience I had with my Smithy... Just one of the many reasons I have thrown my lot in with the "buy used American iron" folks

Seriously though, congrats on the new lathe MCSkipper. Don't be affraid to use more than hand pressure to get the gears off.

Comment

The manual is unclear on a Chinaman lathe?????
          You have got to be kiddin me!!!!!
          Just wait...it only gets worse.
          I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Buy used american because the burrs it had will allready have been worn off with use? Thats one of the sillyest reasons iv heard. I'll wear off my own manufacturing burrs thank you very much. It only takes a few inserts/removals to do it, or a few seconds with a file.
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

If there are burrs in the bore of the gears, you are a lot better off using a reamer to remove them. If they have keyways, get a spiral flute reamer.
              Paul A.

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
              X