OK Here's the problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK Here's the problem

I have an old DeWalt 12 volt drill/driver. The none with the straight handle. I hadn't used it in a few years because the charger went TU on me.
    I got a charger from ebay and it says that the batteries are charging-blinking light then steady light when fully charged.
    Problem is that the batteries arent charged. The charger says it's putting out 29v DC, but no juice in the batteries.
    Any ideas.

Your batteries my be shot. Google for a battery re-builder. I see one advertise on C/L every now and then.

Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybolt
      I have an old DeWalt 12 volt drill/driver. The none with the straight handle. I hadn't used it in a few years because the charger went TU on me.
      I got a charger from ebay and it says that the batteries are charging-blinking light then steady light when fully charged.
      Problem is that the batteries arent charged. The charger says it's putting out 29v DC, but no juice in the batteries.
      Any ideas.
      The batteries are shot. They are almost certainly ni-cad and composed of several 1.2 volt cells linked in series. Over time, especially when not used, one or more of the ni-cad elements will reverse polarity. They become unchargable at that point.

An old trick is to zap the cells with CORRECT POLARITY with a much higher voltage than they are rated for. This must be done with DC only! It only works for awhile anyway.

Google for new batteries.

Comment

Thanks guys. I don't live too far from American Science and Surplus. I'll take a drive tomorrow and see if they have any.

Comment

If you can take the battery pack apart just replace all the cells with similar type cells.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

And remember the problem dewalt gave us with some of their chargers- don't leave the batteries in overnight, take them out fairly soon after they've reached full charge. And especially don't leave the batteries in the charger if it's not going to have power to it.

You probably do need new cells.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
            X