Reproduction Spitfires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reproduction Spitfires

In nondescript sheds on a property on the rural outskirts of Brisbane, Queensland is a small business making Spitfires, and I was fortunate enough to visit there this morning. Its absolutely brilliant. The work is carried out by the owner and his wife, 6 or 7 employees and a few outside contractors. They have a CNC routing table that cuts the required skin shapes out aluminum sheet. They turn out 10 to 12 planes a year, most are sold as kits all around the world, and they are up to plane #80 at the moment. Prices range from AUD175k for a plane less engine and instruments to AUD500k for a turn key job. 1AUD buys about USD90c at the moment. For the full story look here www.supermarineaircraft.com.

3 fuselages under construction

chev V8 in its mounting cradle

inside the cockpit of plane #1

So how many are you going to buy?

Looks nice,do they offer any other engine configs,say a 300hp Lycoming?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

nevermind

Last edited by Tony Ennis; 11-15-2009, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Here is a replica P51 Mustang being built in 3/4 scale. The lightened up the aircraft by 5200 lbs and out fitted it with a 470hp V8. Cruising speed has only reduced by 50mph

http://www.legendaryaircraft.com/air...omparison.html

Comment

It's got to be good, with these tight tolerances, as described on the engine pages:

"This PSRU is a Supermarine Aircraft design for our engine packages with thousands of hours testing and flying in the field with no failures. Main housing is cast aluminium and all internal components are machined from billet aluminium with extremely close tolerances of 0.005”."

And billet aluminium, no less.

Comment

I looked at the engine specs and I suspect that is a typo. The Aussies are metric as far as I know and maybe it should be .005 mm. Since most their dimensions have metric and fractional and since that reference only lists one it's probably an error.
            It's only ink and paper

Comment

It can't be a Spitfire with a V8 Chevy in it can it?

c

Comment

Must be a Novafire ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

With the lumpy nose and wide cockpit, I have to wonder what people think a Spitfire actually looks like.

Aside from the elliptical wing plan and the ersatz pedigree of the purloined manufacturer name, just what is Spitfiresque about that thing?

Comment

It appears to be less than full size. Unless it has a Rolls Royce Merlin, it's no deal. I wonder what Sir Winston Churchill would say?

Comment

The problem is you can't downsize people so a 3/4 scale anything is going to be, well something else in spite of the similarities. That "Mustang" is a good example because even though it somewhat resembles a Mustang a person has to have a vivid imagination to actually call it that. The thing is fat and stubby looking along with the wrong engine and other than some similar, but distorted, lines it really looks very different than a real Mustang so why call it a replica when it is not? It may be similar in shape but it shares almost nothing with a Mustang, a Mustang it is not nor is it actually a replica.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                        Must be a Novafire ?

Maybe a Corvair....

Comment

If your a pilot and want to buy a real Spitfire or Mustang go look up the price and problems owning one. After that you quickly go to the replica site and contact them.
                          It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by gnm109
                            I wonder what Sir Winston Churchill would say?
                            Probably something like, "This is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put!"

More to the point, what would Reg Mitchell say? Nothing good, we can be fairly certain.
                            Last edited by rantbot; 11-15-2009, 04:58 PM.

Comment

On the other hand, this replica may fly circles around the larger full size Spitfire, Mustang and German aircraft. Now, if they can just get guns in the wings
                              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                              X