Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite time to work in your shop

Mine is about 5:30 am to noon when I'll promptly take a nap

I know most folks here get busy in the winter time and I guess that holds true for me too to some extent. But my favorite hours of the day are early in the morning when I'll have no distractions.

During the winter months I set the heater on low the night before and when I step in there at 5:30 am it is a toasty 70 - 80 degs.

4am to 7am. Wife and kids are asleep - pure free time.

Comment

During the summer it is in the evening after things cool down, winter anytime. The reality with my work schedule is any time I can!

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by boaterri
        The reality with my work schedule is any time I can!

Rick
        Same for me, when I can and don't have any of those domestic chores to attend to.

Patrick

Comment

Between midnight and 5 am.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Which shop?Work or home?Oh well I guess that rounds me out to between 5:30 am to 8:30 pm.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by gda
              4am to 7am. Wife and kids are asleep - pure free time.
              I think I'm going to try that. With toddlers running round the house, it's damn near impossible to get into the shop.

My youngest is 2 years old, and I'm finding at that age, they're just starting to become self sufficient enough that SWMBO doesn't give me the Stink Eye if I want to sneak in the shop. So there may be light at the end of the tunnel...
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

When the kids were younger and more of a distraction the hours were earlier.

Back then I would often get up at 3:30 am to bid jobs and do the books. At tax time it was not uncommon for me to grab all my files and check into a hotel for the night

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  Between midnight and 5 am.
                  +1 on that Evan. Pure pleasure working in the shop while the family sleeps.

Comment

I don't usually get into the shop until about 9 AM, but I am retired.
                    It's only ink and paper

Comment

This time of year, I try to arrange my work to have a short day at the dry-dock or whatever, then have a brew when it goes dusk before getting on with something in the shop.
                      If we get to sub-zero all day, maybe in a couple of months, I'll be hoping to have enough 'shop' work to spend the whole day in there & make it worthwhile heating.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by boaterri
                        During the summer it is in the evening after things cool down, winter anytime. The reality with my work schedule is any time I can!

Rick

Same thing for me!

andy b.
                        The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Best shop time

I have allways been a morning person my brain works better then and the freedom from distracting interuptions is nice. I guess my most enjoyable time is spring and fall where the rollup doors can be opened as the sun comes up and the temperatures are comfortable.
                          Byron Boucher
                          Burnet, TX

Comment

I get down there around 10:00 AM, after the coffee and emails. Hang out for a couple hours. Head to town to do the town stuff. Maybe tinker for an hour or so before my daily 4 mile walk. Get done with that and its time for me to make dinner. Yup!! I cook too. And love it..

I dont work much at night cause I drink. Yeah, so what, I drink, prohibition is over But I dont like to work the machines when Im drinking.

Oh yeah, Im retired. So I pretty much do what I want when I want. With some exceptions. Dinner time as a family, a must. Book time with the kids at night before they go to bed, a must. Yeah, Im retired but not old. The kids are still 9 and 5 so book time is a must.

Shop time comes and goes. Sometimes Im really into it, some times Im not. I have soooo many other hobbies that take up the time space.

I thought I would be flooded with time when I retired. Kinda the opposite. Other obligations come in to fill the void. Ok, sure, they are obligations that Id rather be doing than working the 9-5 for someone else. Retirement IS the best time of my life... JR
                            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I start my days somewhere between 11PM and 2AM, do my thing either at home or work till 4PM, then it's time to relax. Bed at about 6PM. I like the late night early morning hours as there are no distractions.

Comment

Working...
                              X