Power Head Adjustment--Chinese Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Head Adjustment--Chinese Mill

I have a CT129 Craftex mill from Busy Bee and the handwheel that I have to turn (in pink circle) to adjust the height of the head is high up at the rear of the mill. This happens to be right in the quadrant of movement that really bothers an old tendon injury in my right shoulder. Last night I was thinking of adding a power adjustment to the head. What immediately came to mind is the motor and gearset off an old barbeque rotisserie.---Trouble with that is that I doubt the motor is reverseable. Has anybody made a modification like that to their mill?----Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Brian, you can bet that a rotisserie drive uses a shaded pole motor and that it is NOT reversible. Have you given any thought to adapting a cordless drill or screwdriver. If you can find an old CTC 110V electric screwdriver, you would be home free. I have one-they are a useless design for driving scrwes, (damn cord!) but have LOTS of torque at low speed AND reversible. An old Makita 9.6V, or just about ANY 12V (insert brand name here,) that has died. Another thought is an industrial damper control motor. The local HVAC contractor should be able to give you a change-out. Duffy
    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Originally posted by Duffy
      Brian, you can bet that a rotisserie drive uses a shaded pole motor and that it is NOT reversible. Have you given any thought to adapting a cordless drill or screwdriver. If you can find an old CTC 110V electric screwdriver, you would be home free. I have one-they are a useless design for driving scrwes, (damn cord!) but have LOTS of torque at low speed AND reversible. An old Makita 9.6V, or just about ANY 12V (insert brand name here,) that has died. Another thought is an industrial damper control motor. The local HVAC contractor should be able to give you a change-out. Duffy
      I don't really have room to use an electric drill, although the thought did cross my mind. I was also thinking of a 12V power window motor. The trouble with an electric drill is that it puts your hand in a really awkward position to use the trigger. Its almost got to be something where I can wire the switch remotely---like a rocker switch mounted out near the front of the machine.
      Last edited by brian Rupnow; 11-15-2009, 10:25 AM.
      Brian Rupnow

Comment

A friend once made a power feed for his mill using a windsheild wiper motor. there reversible and have lots of torque. A 12Vpower supply should not be to difficult to make.

Terry

Comment

Windshield wiper motor.I've made several things out of Ford Ranger wiper motors.The shafts on those can be pressed out of the worm gear and replaced with a straight keyed one.

Maybe a chain and sproket or gear reduction if you need more torque.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow
            I don't really have room to use an electric drill, although the thought did cross my mind.

Have you considered an cordless angle drill? it would take up less space and have the trigger at a better position.

Bill

Comment

Would a chain drive with a pinon shaft placing the hand crank right next to the crossfeed wheel be too much work to install ?

or maybe this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lesson-90volt-dc...item33574d9a21
              Last edited by JoeFin; 11-15-2009, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeFin
                Would a chain drive with a pinon shaft placing the hand crank right next to the crossfeed wheel be too much work to install ?

or maybe this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lesson-90volt-dc...item33574d9a21
                Joe---That would just be the cats Meow--I could remove the handwheel and make up a direct drive coupler.---But I don't have 90V DC. to run it with.---Brian
                Brian Rupnow

Comment

Originally posted by terry_g
                  A friend once made a power feed for his mill using a windsheild wiper motor. there reversible and have lots of torque. A 12Vpower supply should not be to difficult to make.

Terry
                  Okay Terry---educate me a bit. How would I go about reversing a windshield wiper motor with a switch? Since it is D.C. logic tells me I should be able to do it by supplying positive current to the case and grounding the feed wire, but I'm not 100% certain of that---and can I buy a rocker switch and wire it up to do that?
                  Brian Rupnow

Comment

All wiper motors that I have seen are permanent magnet type so reversing the polarity will reverse the motor.You should be able to do it with a double pole double throw switch or DPDT.

Terry

Comment

check E bay #190348860680 for a 120 v gear motor grt

Comment

One suggestion for a starting point would be the basic makings in a wheel chair lift. I have found these at garage sales.

Another basic starting point is the working parts of a electric hospital bed.

Another is the small ATV wench assemblies.

The Surpllus Center has the wheel chair lift motors and the reversible relays. The reversing relays can be built from several 12v starter type relays but the factory built ones are much nicer.

All of these can be controlled withone of the hoist type hand controls.

A medical supply that works with wheel chair lifts and hospital beds often throw away lots of good hardware. If you can find the hands on repairman he would be a good source to cultivate.
                        Byron Boucher
                        Burnet, TX

Comment

Originally posted by terry_g
                          All wiper motors that I have seen are permanent magnet type so reversing the polarity will reverse the motor.You should be able to do it with a double pole double throw switch or DPDT.

Terry

Thanks Terry---
                          Brian Rupnow

Comment

Something like this--Remove top handwheel, put sprocket in its place, mount smaller sprocket on output shaft of some kind of gearmotor--connect with roller chain. My model shows gearmotor mounted on wall behind mill---in actuality I would probably build up support brackets off mill column.
                            Brian Rupnow

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow
                              Joe---That would just be the cats Meow--I could remove the handwheel and make up a direct drive coupler.---But I don't have 90V DC. to run it with.---Brian
                              Your making me work too hard Brian............

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parker-Compumoto...item3a54070e4a

Comment

Working...
                              X