How can I Narrow Laser Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I Narrow Laser Line

I knew there had to be a source for laser line modules that are being used on all kind of tools. Thanks Evan, I found them at dealextreme.com. $4.07/each with free postage from Hong Kong. Beam width looks about like all I've seen maybe 1/8" + wide. How can I narrow the beam for a target 6" to 24" away?

Try the lens from some cheap reading glasses.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Close up the opening the laser shines threw maybe .......
      Feel free to put me on ignore....

Comment

That will make the beam wider because of diffraction.

Comment

Evan is right - use a lense

A friend of mine machines glass - lazer optics to be more precise. They polish tiny lazer optics so the Hi-Tech Boys in Silicon Valley can split angstroms.

Try grabbing a door peep hole at the local hardware and turn the lense around

Comment

You might try a polarizing filter. I have one of those laser beam edge finders, and it has a polarizing lens that goes over the aperture. You can change the size of the beam by turning the polarizing filter.
            No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

I was just fiddling with one of my line lasers and realized that you may have missed the obvious. The front bezel on the laser is a focusing adjustment. Try turning it. I can narrow mine down to about .020" . The only possible problem is that when focused to close objects like 6 inches it will not be in focus at 20 inches and turning the ring rotates the line. If that is not workable then a very low diopter lens in front of the laser may prove to be more suitable. You can core out a piece of the lens of some cheap glasses near the centre to fit the laser and use some brass or plastic tubing to make it adjustable.

Comment

Working...
              X