finished my Follower Rest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finished my Follower Rest

I needed a follower rest to turn down a long bar of aluminum for a friend, but I didn't have one. PHOEY !!
    Well, necessity is the mother of invention, so I had to make one.
    Here's the end result, complete with a puke-green paint job to match my lathe.
    It actually worked amazingly well.

I may have to make one of those. We have fixed steadys for all the
    lathes at school (hardly ever use one) but a traveling one may be
    of use now and then. It will be a lot more difficult to mount than the
    one shown though. Another "toy" to make. :-)
    ...lew...

Comment

Nice job KiddZ. I have been putting off making one for years. The only problem I see is with using the screws as adjusters. As use puts an indentation in the end of the screw and you adjust for a different diameter the old groove may cause problems with work bouncing around looking for a home on the end of the screw.

It would be best with a sliding finger with a screw to adjust it like the steady rests do.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Yeah Carl, I thought of that. But I'll only be using it for special jobs, and not very frequently. If the grooves get too bad, I can just face-off the bolts.

Comment

That would work and you might want to keep several sets of bolts that are faced because you'll probably have work in the lathe when they need refacing.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
            That would work and you might want to keep several sets of bolts that are faced because you'll probably have work in the lathe when they need refacing.
            I hate it when that happens.

KZH,
            That came out great. I'm going to add that to my list of tools to make.

andy b.
            The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Looks good...even with the puke green paint! Rather than make up extra screws, how about replaceable tips for the screws? Either drill the screw ends for inserts or turn down the ends for a slip-on tip held by a set screw?
              David Kaiser
              “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
              ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

That looks great. I have needed one from time to time. Even picked up an old one from an auction but never got around to modifying it to fit my lathe. That type mounting would work. The pictures are really appreciated.
                Byron Boucher
                Burnet, TX

Comment

Working...
                X