Afternoon project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afternoon project

A friend of mine had his Kubota PTO shaft on his lawnmower crap out. The splined shaft sheared off in the coupling. Kubota wanted $833 plus tax. I made him a new shaft and (2) coupling for $260. I have about 14 hours in all the pieces. I will weld the couplings back to the shafts tomorrow at work.
    These were 100% made on my South Bend 9" lathe, splines and all. I broached the splines using my carriage with a tool in my QCTP. The fit came out very good, still gotta put zerk fittings back in them.

Nice job Mcruff.
    Can you post a photo of your spline cutting setup?
    Also I was wondering how you indexed the chuck for the spline.
    Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I use this to index the spindle:

As far as the cutter I have a couple of boring bars that I made that hold square toolbits. I grind them to the form and then use the carriage handwheel to shave off about .002 per pass.

Comment

Mcruff,
        Thanks for the photo of the indexer and the info on the cutters. I will file that away for if I have to do splines.
        Brian
        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Very nice work.

Comment

What material did you use and did you harden them?
            The old ones were most likely hard, and they broke, so chances are they need to be as strong or better.
            Nice work indeed. Sweet SB lathe also.

--Doozer
            DZER

Comment

Ditto on request on how you hardened them.

Did your friend grease the failed ones periodically?

Clutch

Comment

The old ones were not hard at all. They weren't even as hard as the 1020 steel I used. The welds on them were even junk. This was on a 3 1/2 year old commerical Kubota mower.
                He did not grease them as the leaf vaccum setup was installed by the dealer and he was told it was a permantely greased assembly from the factory, and there was no mention of it in his service manual. When the splines sheared on the shaft he removed the covers for the shaft an pulley and found 2 zerk fittings (at that point he was a little peeved). The splines on the old shaft sheared from the rust that had setup in the coupler until there was no material left to catch the splines. When I pulled the shafts apart all that came out was rust, about 4 tablespoons full. You have to realize this shaft is small (19mm OD), in fact the u-joint on the other end is the smallest I have ever seen. The main thing was to make these last another 3-4 years, as by that time he will have worn the mower out. He mows about 60-100 acres a week with this mower, mainly rich doctors and CEO types. The vacuum system is already obsolete and unavailable from Kubota, the shaft assembly was the only part left available from Kubota, or at least thats what he was told. He said they quit building the unit around 2 1/2 years ago.
                Last edited by Mcruff; 11-15-2009, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Well done, McGruff. I hope I can learn to do that kind of work someday.

Comment

14 hours plus materials for $260? Do you take outside work?

I charge most of my friends $50 an hour (keeps them from asking me to fix garbage).

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shaper

I charge most of my friends $50 an hour (keeps them from asking me to fix garbage).
                      I was kind of in need of some money for something I wanted.
                      If it was for a company instead of a friends lawn service it would have been a whole lot more money. I actually took 3 small jobs this weekend for a total of $385, probably $10 in materials total so I think I did ok for a hobby business. I don't do this to make a living, mainly to give me a challenge, keep me out of trouble on the weekends and make money for my Jeep trail rides and repair parts.

Comment

Very nice work! I really like the indexer.

Comment

Yea give the work away.

I would cheat and use off the shelf PTO parts and shine them up and say I made them.

Iv worked in farm repair type shops and we keep enough PTO stuff on hand to change over metric kabota stuff over to cheaper priced american sized stuff at a fraction of the price. done it dozes of times. just pull the parts off the shelf, machine to length and weld them up.

Farmers are smart they will get things changed over to take a $12 cross kit that they have on thier parts shelves and wont buy the $49 kabota cross kit.
                          same for yokes.

Comment

Dang it... so much for my outsourcing idea. lol

I'm in business under the "do what you love and the money will follow" but the money seems to have taken the scenic route.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shaper

I agree with Jim.

It may only be a hobby, but $18.50 per hour. Have a whole bunch of work for you to bid, and you won't have to cut splines.

Comment

Working...
                              X