Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building Trailers...Let's see what you have done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Trailers...Let's see what you have done.

I am finally getting around to building a couple of trailers and am interested in seeing what others have done.

Also any good trailer building sites and books would be of interest.

Thanks

I haven't built a trailer yet but I've got an old one that desperately needs to be rebuilt or else scrapped..

You probably already know about these sites but here they are anyway:

http://weldingweb.com search the "project" forum for trailer

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php

Post pics on our welding forum when your project is underway.

Comment

*BUMP*

Thanks for the ONE response. ;<)

I find it hard to believe that only ONE other HSMer has a trailer to discuss. ;<))

How about guys...let's talk trailers.

Thanks

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
        *BUMP*

Thanks for the ONE response. ;<)

I find it hard to believe that only ONE other HSMer has a trailer to discuss. ;<))

How about guys...let's talk trailers.

Thanks

TMT
        I waited for Horror, Fright, and Snails to have the 1480lb model on sale for $179. Put it together with 3/4" plywood floor and home made stake sides. I brought home a HUGE wood shaper and a pair of 16" and 24" Porter timber bed lathes in it. How about a 5' long tool rest eh? Handled the overload fine. Just keep lots of air in the tars.

Comment

I built a trailer a number of years ago, before digital cameras so no pictures. It is 49" on the inside by 14' long just right to fit 2- 4 wheelers. I would suggest on your trailer you put rub rails down the sides so you can easily attach tie down straps.

Patrick

Comment

I'm not building one, but I'm in the middle of shortening one, and converting another one.

Strangely, the one I'm shortening is an old boat trailer, that I'm turning into a flatbed, and the one I'm converting is a flatbed that I'm turning into a boat trailer....

Not as stupid as it sounds, the boat trailer is an old Evinrude 3500lb capacity made with 6" I beams, with a low rider axle, so it's perfect for the hauling I do .
            The flatbed is 7000lb capacity that I need for hauling my sail boat.

Ken.

Comment

I've built one trailer, a specialty deal for hauling a free standing rig for pulling wells. Simple channel structure and frame, was IIRC 6' x 14', single axle. decking was expanded metal (grating) as we wanted it to allow mud and liquids to fall through.

I have repaired several others. Unfortunately no pics as it's been a long time since I built / repaired them.

Comment

I haven't built one, but have fixed mine multiple times, especially after lending it to a friend who beat the snot out of it. Lots of pounding of fenders, rewiring, and grinding/welding on new angle iron.

I like keeping it ugly. Makes it so I don't feel so bad when I leave it out in the rain all winter long.

Comment

I built a custom trailer for our 19' steam launch... single axle, carpeted bunks, keel rollers and angled guides for ease of recovery. Simple enough....

I used 3" square tube for the frame w/ a 3/4" pipe strong back on the tongue.

Sorry, no pictures handy, and she's in the shed for the winter at this point.

- Bart
                  Bart Smaalders
                  http://smaalders.net/barts

Comment

Heavy Duty

I built one with modular sides (to convert to semi flatbed) solid oak tops for floor milled edges soaked in ATF Fluid. Torque flex axle 3500 pound model. Continental trailer tires (150 each awesome rubber) and a locking brake panned bent dual opening tailgate with locking mechanism copied from a Tractor trailer . Also used 15 lights a tractor trailer seven prong outlet a holder for the plug so it is stored in a proper position to eliminate water ingress. Also a tractor trailer split box waterproof filled with old grease for light reliability. Also have four rectangular slots cut into the floor for a folding type rack that will fit into trailer for storage above and beyopnd the scope of sane individuals. I have hauled things with this trailer over great distances that i truly had no business doing so . LOL Anyhow id post pictures but i am picture retarded and just dont.

Comment

This was a trailer I built for a guy that contracted with the state to mow right of ways. He used this mower to mow around the deliniaters.

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far.

I understand about the hesitation to post pictures but again, if you can please do.

If you see a homebuilt trailer or commercial one that merits a comment on its construction, please post it.

Thanks

TMT

Comment

What would the hesitation to post pics be? Those were the first pics I've ever posted and I suppose there is a reason I should not have done it. They aren't posted as I would like, but I struggled just getting them on in the first place. Maybe thats the reason for the hesitation, for us computer illiterates posting pics is a pain in the backside.

Anyway in the first pic you can see a hydraulic cylinder (which I'm using as an air cylinder) that I used to hold the tilt in the up position while loading. I used the tongue for an air chamber, so when you pull on it allows the bed to tilt into the travel position. I built this in 06 and surprisingly he has never had to add air.

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Richard86
                            What would the hesitation to post pics be? Those were the first pics I've ever posted and I suppose there is a reason I should not have done it. They aren't posted as I would like, but I struggled just getting them on in the first place. Maybe thats the reason for the hesitation, for us computer illiterates posting pics is a pain in the backside.

Anyway in the first pic you can see a hydraulic cylinder (which I'm using as an air cylinder) that I used to hold the tilt in the up position while loading. I used the tongue for an air chamber, so when you pull on it allows the bed to tilt into the travel position. I built this in 06 and surprisingly he has never had to add air.

Rich
                            Slick idea about the air chamber/tongue.

Many times the hesitation to post pictures is just the hassle of it...many people are not fully digital yet.

TMT

Comment

Here's a page that a friend made up on the subject of trailers. His are mostly purpose-built, for hauling antique engines.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/rot...r/trailer.html

Lotsa ideas on those pages, pics, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X