Building An Injection Molding Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building An Injection Molding Machine

More or less it is a cylinder with a bottom... that has a hole... that accepts a nozzle. Into this cylinder I push a ram. Once the material melts enough to flow I cycle the ram with my Horrible Freight press shooting the plastic through the nozzle into a crude mold that I have built.

Heat will be supplied by a torch in the initial uses, I have a line on small heater-bands and a controller from a friend who works at a "real" injection molding company.

My first question is... should I have the cylinder and ram heat-treated in any way or will it be "good enough" to shoot a couple hundred small parts as is?
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

I would say that heat treating could be bypassed for a couple of hundred hits.
    But if you get this thingy working, I may have a small project for ya'.....

If you're interested

Comment

IMHO, heat treat for something you're planning to supply heat to with a torch is a waste of time. The surface temperature of the outside will be well above the tempering temperature for most materials in order to get the heat to conduct through the cylinder material fast enough to be a practical melter.

My $.02 YMMV
      Cam
      Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

The Gingery injection molder could do about 1oz at a time... How much are you planning?

Comment

Chrome plating the bore and piston might be a good idea.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

2 cylynders, big un an a little un an a scissors or toggle linkage to close the dies.
            i worked on austin allen machines which were real simple but cant for the life of me find them on the net [it was 25 years ago] US made i beleive an bomb proof, couple of onces an about 12 ton lock, no fancy screwing dies or anything. plattens about foot by 8 inch air powered not hydraulic.
            mark

Comment

This is what I have come up with.
              http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=36796

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/archiv...p/t-17150.html

Comment

I don't need a full-scale press I just need to squirt some plastic to make some toy parts.

Would LOVE to have one though, just not practical.
                This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Working...
                X