Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need brazing barrier, or pin for brazing alignment that won't solder!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need brazing barrier, or pin for brazing alignment that won't solder!!

So I'm in a jam I need help with ASAP! I'm silver soldering little 1/8 set screw collars to a flat plate, and I really need an accurate placement so I have a 1/8 hole in the plate so a pin can keep it all good. But enough solder is wicking under the collar to screw me by soldering the pin in also. is there anything I can put on the steel pin to keep it from soldering? Or is there a common metal for the pin that would work? AL would melt out.

Thanks for reading this far, I'm off to experiment and hope I hear the email ping!

You can coat the necessary areas using typist's correction fluid.
    Problem is , who has typing correction fluid nowadays.
    It can be purchased at any office supply store tomorrow

Comment

What you want is sometimes called an "anti-flux". There is stuff made specifically for that, but one common and readily available thing I have used when silver soldering is White-out, the correction fluid stuff that those of us who can't think before we write but still write in ink use to fix our mistakes (I have used a lot if it...).

Put some whiteout on the areas you do not want the solder to flow, let it dry for a minute or two, then heat it with your torch. If you do not have the water based type, the fumes are a bit nasty, avoid breathing them, use good ventilation and good sense. This will leave a residue that is not conducive to solder flow. Think of it as selective contamination. Then put your parts together, flux and solder.

You may want to try it on a few scraps first just to see how it works.

Late edit: You guys are quick. Ken beat me to it, but only because he seemed to be able to say it in far fewer words than me...

Comment

Can't you just heat the pin till it falls out?

--Doozer
        DZER

Comment

Thanks. White out huh? I'll get some, but I've got to get back to the drawing board, the damn collar idea, 2 pins 2.5" apart on one flat bar and mating collars on another doesn't work so well, they bind too much sliding up and down. I really don't want to make this stupid thing more elaborate with a tube section to hold alignment so it slides easier. But I have to deliver tomorrow morning. Grrrr.....

Comment

Trivia time. 'White out' was invented by one Bette Nesmith, mother of Monkee Mike Nesmith.

Comment

Try marking the pin with soapstone.
              Byron Boucher
              Burnet, TX

Comment

I assume that you have an O/A or at least an acetylene/air torch. That being the case, you can "soot up" the pin. Apparently silver solder wont adher to the carbon black. Duffy
                Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I think most of the dry coating options might get scraped off inserting the pin. I tried just some synthetic grease, which worked well enough that I was able to bang out the pins. Then I opened up the damn holes to #29 so now it's sloppy enough to slide to where it gets locked down.

Good enough for my show and tell tomorrow on the prototype. It's midnight here, now I go bed! Maybe Staples has whiteout.

Cheers.

Comment

Try a ceramic pin.

Comment

thats a tough deal, i want to here the answer to this problem

Comment

Originally posted by Duffy
                        Apparently silver solder wont adher to the carbon black. Duffy
                        Try a carbon rod.

Steve

Comment

I always use a thick pencil line. Neither silver or soft solder will flow past it at least as a dilm. A blob might depending on tilt.

Comment

Simple!
                            All you have to do is WANT the pin to stick.
                            That's my experience anyway.
                            Len

Comment

Graphite, like Forrest said. Get a tube in the lock section of your hardware store and squeeze a bit out into a small container. Roll the pin in it. You should be good to go.
                              Stuart de Haro

Comment

Working...
                              X