Meteor Shower tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meteor Shower tonight

The annual Leonid Meteor Shower peaks tonight at just after 2100 zulu. The UK would have good view if it weren't for the rain. The east coast of the US will be a bit after the peak just after night falls and may see quite a few meteors. The west coast will not be as active by the time it is dark here but it is still worth having a look as soon as it becomes dark. Look toward the east which is where the meteors will seem to originate.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

'spect we'll have city lights as usual here tonight. . .
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

Comment

Yep, and it will be cloudy tonight here.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I was vaguely aware of it, but not the particulars. We'll check it out when it gets dark.

-Pete
        I just like to make stuff.

Comment

I'll get to test out the switches on my security lights. I had the electrician put switches on our dusk-to-dawn lights just for such a purpose.

He looked at me kind of funny when I told him why I wanted the switches.

Comment

It's still worth having a look Frank, even in the city. The Leonid shower is produced by the debris trailing after comet Temple-Tuttle and it contains some rocks big enough to produce bolides. They can be seen in broad daylight. Every year at this time the Earth passes through the trail of debris left by the comet. Hopefully it will continue to work out that way. We wouldn't want to get the really BIG meteor...

Comment

Meteor showers in wales, Rain showers more like it, i havent even seen the sky from here since 1979, i've got a telescope, it was cheap to make as it required no optics or stand my wiufe calls it a length of drain pipe.
              i like old planes but ive only ever seen a meteor in a museum, i think a lot of them fell out of the sky too, or was that comets.
              i hope those of you with clear sky enjoy
              old joke; is that the sun or the moon, I dont know i'm from Port Talbot [S Wales]

Comment

Evan,

Thanks for the reminder! I'll have to head out when it gets dark and see what I can see.

andy b.
                The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

rain here tonight..

Comment

Hey guys, have you ever heard the story, that after a meteor shower, there is a greater rise in cases of Meningitis, and other brain troubles in children, Is this an old wives tale, or is there any rational explanation?
                    Strange to say the Tibetans have a dread of Meteor showers &comets,Which they class as omens of misfortune .
                    Last edited by oil mac; 11-18-2009, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Rain and wind storm forecast for tonight here.

Comment

I wanted to watch but they said the best time around Western NY would be 4-5AM. Much to late for me. Now, had they scheduled them for 8 or 9pm I might have been able to stay up late enough
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

There was a pretty spectacular fireball/meteor last Friday evening visible here in eastern Maine. Don't know whether it was part of the Loeonids or not, but it sure was neat.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                            ...they said the best time around Western NY would be 4-5AM...
                            Hmmm... maybe just a tad later here in Michigan? Just about the time I usually get up. I expected to miss it, but I may have a look.
                            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

The best time WAS about 2 hours ago. That is when the Earth passed through the densest part of the debris trail. You should go have a look as soon as it becomes dark enough, which it already is on the east coast.

Comment

Working...
                              X