What do you do in the shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Guys

This is a present for a big hitting golf buddy...

I started off with a bar of stainless ..I think it was 304 but it came from a friends scrap bin so I've no idea really..
    Bit hard and not as nice as some 303 i have..

I cut it to size and milled the back with a recess and a slot to accept the buckle/catch plate..

Then mill his nickname after a brief test on plastic.

Then fit the buckle/catch plate.. into the slot recess (inner picture )
    And the finished belt is done..hope he likes it..

Rob

Comment

• My latest project is a mill spindle wrench for the LatheMaster ZAY7045. These machines don't have a spindle lock--at least none that I've found, LOL! I've been tightening up the drawbar by putting the machine in low gear and using the friction/inertia. Anyway here's what I came up with. The holes are 7" on center, and the metal started out as a piece of 3/8" x 2" x 8 1/2" hot roll.

another:

I've also made a couple of tools for tending the fire in my woodstove. We've got one of those little stoves that doesn't have a separate ash bin, so we're always sifting the ashes out of the hot coals. That's not very easy w/ a coal shovel so the "ash sifter" was born. That's 1/4" hardware cloth for scale.

Also had an older fireplace poker that the business end was always coming loose. I wanted to forge out a replacement ever since we moved here 2 years ago. I finally got my forge set up this summer, and had enough time and ambition to get the job done. It's a little crude--maybe rustic is the proper term? I wanted to make it a little different but was rushed and frankly my arm was plenty tired by the time I had it this far! Not too bad considering I started w/ 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 18" or so of solid steel. It may have been 1 1/4", not sure at this point. . . .

another shot:

There's a couple more pics of each at

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...place%20Tools/

and

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Mill%20Wrench/

Jim
      Last edited by Jim2; 12-20-2009, 09:52 AM. Reason: Added some info about mill wrench

Comment

• Here is a small faucet wrench I made for a plumber buddy. It was a size he couldn't find, and he wanted the OD as small as possible. Takes a long ¼" extension to drive it.

Made of ¼" thick 304SS.

.... and here are some spoke wrenches I made for a friend that trues a lot of bicycle wheels. He wanted a very specific size to use with a certain brand/size of spoke nipple.

Made of ½" thick 304SS.

Comment

• Here is some of my CNC machine (router) that I am building.

Comment

• My very first CNC milling machine:

My second CNC milling machine:

My third CNC milling machine: I learned about what "Rigid" is with Machine 1 & 2. The third machine is made with cast iron ways, hand fit with almost "0" clearance. The limitations are the 1/4hp DC spindle motor. But, it is made for the real small work that I do. It can do second opperations that come off my CNC Bridgeport. I also used this machine to learn Mach3. I have used TurboCNC before. I built that machine for under $500 less the CNC control. The spindle is a DA100 collet chuck.

More pics of this machine: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...20%20Mill%203/

Sinking EDM:

www.outbackmachineshop.com
            Last edited by outback; 12-23-2009, 09:00 AM.
            So much to learn, so little time

Comment

• Jim,

Does your "third" cnc mill have dovetail or THK type ways?

It looks pretty small, is it pretty rigid?

Comment

• Snowman:

Someone gave me the 4" wide cast iron dovetails. I made the X/Y saddle and a slide for "Z". It is very rigid, unlike the machine 1 & 2 where I used linear ballbearings and Tompson shafting for ways. The linear bearings made a smooth machine but not rigid.

I already have a CNC Bridgeport "retrofit" for a large machine. But I had a need for a real small machine that could run on 120VAC. The small machine is in an area of the shop that it easier to heat and cool and no need to run a phase converter.

Outback
                So much to learn, so little time

Comment

• Priming the pump some more....

The daily "fixit".... today a ratcheting tap wrench that I got tired of having not work.... Funny thing is I don't even really like the ratcheting action, but I hate stuff that does nor work......

Old and new ratchet

All the pieces
                  1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

• hello all

I managed to score a cheap plunger type indexing table from ebay.

I didnt come with a back plate sooo I made one.

It was my first try at internal threading..... it screws on thank gawd.

I used a special type of threading insert and my own "special" holder.

Pics

Comment

• Lately nothing .If I did any thing I would make a mess then would have to clean it up . So better to have a shop and not use it than to not have on at all.Besides I still cant see real well with just one eye . Dr said may be another month before I can get new lens for glasses.
                      Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                      http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                      http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

• Yesterday I moved the Bridgeport clone from the middle of the worshop to one corner and the Harrison L5 to one wall.

Today I moved the BPC out of the corner and parallel to the wall and shuffled the lathe along a bit....

...and then I moved them back again.

I hate trying to come up with a good layout.
                        Paul Compton
                        www.morini-mania.co.uk
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

• Hmmm, not much time for anything but work in the last week (over 70 hours last week, and working today). But, yesterday I made another "rock duty" tie rod (7/8-18 L&R Dodge ends). Also made most of a floating stabilizer clamp that allows both toe adjustment and arbitrary location of the stabilizer to keep everything aligned for smooth bind free operation (double shear mount for bushing in proper alignment for tie rod arc). Then the wife wanted the evening, so I gave the machined bits to my friend to finish the welding...

Edit: Typo - should have been 7/8-18, not 7/8-8
                          Last edited by BadDog; 01-10-2010, 08:34 PM.
                          Russ
                          Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

• Originally posted by EVguru
                            Yesterday I moved the Bridgeport clone from the middle of the worshop to one corner and the Harrison L5 to one wall.

Today I moved the BPC out of the corner and parallel to the wall and shuffled the lathe along a bit....

...and then I moved them back again.

I hate trying to come up with a good layout.
                            This I love You sound like me .Over the years Every machine has been moved to every corner and back again ,. Aint that fun.
                            Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                            http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                            http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

• Originally posted by BadDog
                              Then the wife wanted the evening, so I gave the machined bits to my friend to finish the welding...
                              Good dog...
                              Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

• I've been noodling around the shop, fixing spare indicators, making bits needed to adapt them to mag stands, etc. Nothing big.

Just finished some cabinet work, reproducing a small door to match the 80 year old stained (as in not painted) woodwork in color, and construction. Fun with hide glue, chisels, dovetail saws (actually cutting tenons) etc. I actually considered cutting it on the mill, for reproducibility, but I didn't want sawdust mixed with oil like last time....... So I did it the old way, with saw and chisels, not even a drill.
                                1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Working...
                                X