No announcement yet.

What do you do in the shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I go out to my shop and look around, I get embarrassed when I think of all the stuff others on here have made. I LIKE doing work on the lathe and mill, but most of my stuff is very low, entry level stuff. I have made a few things that are good quality though, (but no camera so no pics). I've made throttle shafts and choke shafts for a few carbs. Several bushing and seal drivers for removing and installing them on a friends Harley Davidson. Panels and battery boxes for a friend's John Deere "D" and Cockshutt 30. A friend and I built a Street Stock for him in my garage years ago with which we won the class championship 8 years in a row. Lots of little things to fix worn out or broken parts. (I love being able to make a simple reproduction part which is no longer available.) Made several tips for a friends Rust Check sprayers, he says they are better than the ones he used to buy. A little tool to put the flange on a hole in the metal strips that hold down the boards in a half ton box with wooden floor....that grips the straight knurled part of the carriage bolt shaft so you can tighten it without it spinning in the hole, exactly like the factory hole. Little stuff...

Comment

Here are only 2 of the many I have made in the past.. Sadly, I no longer have the machinery to make cuesticks anymore...

Matching break stick and playing cue... Everything white is ivory, everything gold is gold or gold plated.. Both made from a single piece of cocobolo wood... the break cue has the more figured part as it offered the best chance to show it off

The shaft are funny colored because they are old growth maple from the bottom of lake superior...these ones had the most grain lines per inch.. hard to get all white shafts though with this type of wood...

Comment

Here are some of my modest projects that I could find. I've done several antenna mount systems for friends that I don't have photos of. Most of my work is simple in nature. I do not do machine work for a living although when I was working, I have made some good money doing side projects for my employers tv cameras.

I don't get as much done as I would like to. BUT, as this is a HOME shop machinist site I take it to mean that it is more suited to home hobby type guys and not necessarily professionals. I also feel it is my interest in things machined and not my skill that allows me to participate in this forum with equal vigor. I also feel that even though my projects are very basic I have been able to make some enlightening comments to help others. I nearly always mention that I am a retired photographer so that anyone reading my comments can know from where I speak.

I'm just going to do some links because these may take awhile to load.

Now that you've seen some of my feeble attempts at machining you'll understand why I sit in awe of the work many of you do.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I'm liking this!

Lots of good work.

And if anyone happens to think their work won't stand up, neither does a lot of mine, but at least it generally works, and is often buried in a machine somewhere invisible. I know it isn't as nice as I'd like, but nobody else does.

The important part is often function. A part that functions and is very pretty is really not a bit better than one that functions fine but has a ding and isn't highly finished. Nothing bad to be said about it, it is a "perfect" part.

I have vises drop parts (didn't tighten well), bump the wrong dial, get plain mixed up and turn CCW when it should have been CW, mis-measure, lose count of turns......... In other words I scrap parts sometimes. Not so good, since I very rarely make more than a couple of any part, and often only one. I have made "runs" of 30 or 40, but since I got the turret, those have dried up, wouldn't you know it.

Originally posted by Glenn Wegman
          I was hoping you would lead it off with some pics Jerry. You've only ever posted one that I've seen!
          I've posted a bunch over time, some have turned into HSM articles, and a couple got published. I'm just gonna raid my photobucket account for some.

Example of 'semi-paid" prototype work (our client won't care so long as I don't show the bottom side of that block)

Tooling for mill

Crazy plumbing repair tool

A die for a thread I needed
          Last edited by J Tiers; 11-18-2009, 11:10 PM.
          1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

It really started out my making parts for the kid's Rice Burners as long as they agreed to take them OFF the street (stripped for track use only) and kind of progressed from there. 1 kid made it to the Nationals in an obscure class of racing (D1)

I don't make too much right now - my shop addition is not finished and functional. I figuared I would need finishing eguipment to make a Finished product, and that was the reason for the small barn.

But here are a few of my goofing around the shop pieces

Comment

An extractor for odd connector pins

Vise rotary base

A tap for something I don't recall

A repair gear (the one on the left)
              1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

Thanks Jerry,

See there, I stand corrected!

I remembered only the cord grip post, don't know how I had forgotten about the recent mill tooling pics.

Comment

Heres one thing I built.Bandsaw sawmill I couldn't get the picture to post so here is a link.http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/w...rcat2009/6.jpg

Comment

I have posted about this project before, Almost ready for paint after 8 years!

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch
                    Mostly welding and fabricating, but I got into machining to make boat parts.

Comment

continued post.

I was really privileged to meet Mark Hockett from the list, A really nice guy and awesome machinist. I went to Whidbey Island to visit. He showed me some stuff and turned me a fancy bow roller on the cnc lathe. Still looking for a VMC Mark!

Comment

Pieces-parts,

Comment

Originally posted by scatter cat
                          Heres one thing I built.Bandsaw sawmill I couldn't get the picture to post so here is a link.http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/w...rcat2009/6.jpg
                          I like your bandmill. I keep saying I'm going to build one but by the time I get around to it, I won't need it anymore. Not that "need" has a lot to do with it.

Comment

I'm still trying to work out how to use my lathe.
                            My first project might as well go big!!!!

and

Comment

and

poof!!!!!! dunn

Comment

I made a flag holder for my FIL.

/DSC03659.jpg[/url]

Mike
                                Brandon MI
                                2003 MINI Cooper S JCW#249
                                1971 Opel GT
                                1985 Ford 3910LP