No announcement yet.

What do you do in the shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Frank Ford's response about making a tool to make tool. I do that a lot. Also spending 2 days making a jig to machine a part that takes 2 minutes.

Here is my current project, a Kozo A3 switcher steam locomotive in 1.5" scale (7.5" gauge). The frame and cylinder assembly. Beer bottle for scale... :-)

Ken-

Comment

Here's the only project pix I haven't posted here yet. They are venturis to convert an Italian r/c helicopter engine for control-line use for a friend. He wanted 3 specific ID's with my best guess on entry shape. I made a form tool to cut the radii and it worked pretty well. Just had to polish 'em a bit on the lathe to make them look like I knew what I was doing.

The flats had to be milled precisely to ensure that the needle valve/spraybar
      outlet hole was centered. The cobbled up D.I. rig on my vise stop allowed me to measure the Z depth pretty close. (No DRO yet) The 5C collet block and vise stop allowed repeatable positioning when I flipped it to do the other side.

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I dont do much in my shop, im crippled up and will be lucky if my old shop does not fall in on itself, I hope this winter is mild.

its a real peice of crap.

Comment

this is the last thing I made...last few weeks have been just software and soldering irons..

Its a 39.8 mm pin with a 38mm 3mm pitch thread on the end made from EN24 ...for my 3.5 ton mini digger..

done between centers....that were set up with a test bar and dti..

finished pin after polishing has a 1 thou taper over it 18inchs...so I was happy with that as my lathe will not be levelled until I finish extending my garage.

Last edited by MrSleepy; 11-19-2009, 05:49 PM.

Comment

so i wanted to build a little short air cleaner for a buell blast that i have molested.i needed the bolts to come through from the throat for lack of material and wanted it to be tapered inside.so i took a ruined hyd.cyl.gland nut that i had kept to make a muffler tip out of and thought"hey my air cleaner is hiding inside here" .so i cut away everything that wasn't an air cleaner and it looked like this.

Comment

well it wasn't much of an air cleaner like that,plus it kept suckin stuff down the throat(like the strap off my back pack or pantleg or anything close )and when i throttled it hard takin off it would pull fuel out of the throat that would land on my jeans.so i machined a ring out and used my rotab to machine six holes for countersunk allens.

then when i set the ring over the end i saw that my hole pattern was to small and i needed more material to drill and tap the housing.well i had too much work to trash it so i machined a ring out and welded it in.

more later,headed home.

leon holmes

Comment

531blackbanshee..yesterday's project was a bike part too. Made a simple helmet holder for one of my riding buddys. I have had to make quite a few of these since I made one for myself. Just a simple lil thang that clamps on the handle bars.

Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Need to turn a very long, or steep taper?
                  http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...tor-99359.html
                  Harry

Comment

Here is a quick and dirty project I did a while back. Shooting sticks:

Made from a pair of discarded aluminum ski poles. Cut to a convenient length with nothing more than a bolt and a couple of washers for the pivot. I loctited the nut to keep it from working loose. I took the plastic disk at the bottom off of one pole and left the other one on. It has a notch for the ends to clip together for easy carrying.

I painted them flat black, planned to camo them but have not gotten to it yet. Wrapped the top with some of that spongy camo tape and capped with some rubber tops to make a nice soft quiet surface that won't mar a nice stock. Not that I have any nice stocks, but you never know.

Comment

This one I already had on Photobucket. It's a wing flapping backpack for Radio City's Christmas show angel. It was fun to design the mech with the sliding block rather than using the traditional mirrored gears and connecting rods, been there, done that. The black box is a sweet servo speed controller.

Comment

dockrat,that is a neat little piece there.i couldn't tell you how many times i have watched helmets slip off the bar end.
                        after the welding i machined the weld area back,i never have been able to get a nice finish on alu.weld.

now i have enough material to drill and tap
                        the setscrews are plugging mis-drilled holes .i had the gasket that i used for a template turned over and mis-marked the holes,doh!

here is how the finished air cleaner looks from the side,

i cut some uni foam filter material and made my filter and the ring clamps and seals it.i am pleased that "it works"but may dream up a different look later.
                        this is one of the things i have built which mostly are bike,quad,or whatever someone drags up.

leon holmes

Comment

here it is from the back(business side) .

leon holmes

Comment

Powder Coat Oven

I'm interested in building motorcycle add-ons out of steel that will be machined and powdercoated. I've done a few and powdercoated them in a toaster oven yet I felt it would be nice to have a full-sized powder coat oven. I started this project about three years ago in earnest and collected all of the necessary items like sheet metal, a MIG welder, heating elements, electrical equipment and so forth. It's 2' W X 3' H X 6' D inside dimensions, more than large enough for a motorcycle frame.

It uses four 2,500 watt oven elements and pulls 51 amps. I've just got it done and had it up to 500 deg. F. for test but it will only be running at 400 deg. F. for around a half hour. It's been more of a project than I suspected at the start. There was a lot of welding and brazing and not much machinng except for the wheels that are on the trolleys to roll the parts in.

I used a design, with some modifications, that is posted on the internet here:

http://www.powdercoatoven.4t.com/

When not in use, it makes a nice place to set a beer and a bag of potato chips. I'll be doing a lot more machining since I got my Webb Mill installed and running only a few months ago. I bet this thread gets very long. A lot of people are doing nice work but don't always post threads on it. I've sure been busy doing this oven, I can tell you.

The basic framework is 16 ga. 2"X2" U channel, welded together with tubes brazed through to take 3/8" bolts for assembly and access.

The elements are placed in the bottom of the oven and are wired in parallel. With approximately 4.7 ohms and 240 volts I'm pulling 50+ amps on my clamp meter. It heats to 400 degrees in 14 minutes. The elements are used ones from an appliance repair shop.

Here's a view of the bottom trolley and rails. The unfinished upper trolley is on top of the lower trolley. this was a couple of weeks ago and it's all done now. I have to take more pictures.

The electricals are rather straightforward. Presently I'm using a definite purpose contactor with an oven thermostat. Later on, I plan on upgrading to a PID and SSR control but as of now, it works. It's on a 70 amp breaker line, the same as my welders and the cable from the subpanel to the unit is 6 ga, 4 wire so that I can carry a ground and a neutral per the latest codes in my area. There are also two interior oven lights.

Hope you all like it.

Last edited by gnm109; 11-19-2009, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Powder Coat Oven 2

The oven is insulated with 2" of rock wool also called mineral wool. It is rated for more than 2,000 deg. F. When the oven is at 400 degrees, the outside sheet metal on the sides is still at room temperature. The top gets a little hot around the windows since they are designed to vent around them.

Here's the top as I was insulating the bare framework. This is the biggest project I've ever attempted at home. The rock wool is very inexpensive and I needed less than a bale of 2' X 4' batts to do the whole job.

The windows are used tempered glass oven windows. They don't break. I dropped one accidentally and nothing happened. LOL.

The outer sheets are 20 ga. galvanized sheet metal. I had all of the sheets made up to my plan at a sheet metal shop. It saved me a lot of cuts and bruises.

The sheets are held on with dozens and dozens of 1/8" steel snap rivets. As I said, i'll be doing a lot more machining soon. If I do anything worthwhile, I'll show some pictures.

Enjoy!
                              Last edited by gnm109; 11-19-2009, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Well, if you don't mind cheesy pictures ...

It's a cheese press I made for my son. HDPE, stainless, and a little aluminum so it could be run through the dishwasher if you wanted. It can be easily demounted for storage and the top bar is slotted for easy assembly of container and curd. The springs are stainless too and the scale is calibrated for calculated pressure in pounds. PSI or course will depend on the size of the cheese mold.

And speaking of mold, he gave me quite a nice mold ripened cheese that reminded me somewhat of St. Andre.
                                "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X