What do you do in the shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I somehow missed this thread, what a great collection of pics

Fred, thanks so much for the kind words, nothing i've made surpasses that Quorn, very nice!

and Bob - you made that T&CG? wow, excellent. same for the others here

There's a few builds floating in my shop, but confess lately I've been more machine tool rebuilder than machinist. Here are three recently found wayward machine tools in need of some tlc

This Taiwanese Tool & Cutter grinder is receiving a ground up scraping job, It'll end up much better than original....I was surprise at how crooked the ways were. lots of work but i think the spindle bearings are ok so should be worthwhile

The lovely Monarch awaits its turn. you can see the wee nip of single malt as I steel myself for the amount of labour i've sentenced, I mean committed, myself to

After existing in the 40's for a while with the Monarch it'll be time to get up to date, or at least into the 80's and get this old bport cnc going. Still considering whether to bandaid the existing or controller/servo retrofit

I also recently sold the Atlas shaper to a nice young guy and feel like popping the cork over clearing 5 square feet.

Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-26-2009, 06:44 PM.
    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Well, I've finally learned how to post pics. These are some dozer blade lift cylinder parts that were all washed out, due to a lack of regular lubrication. The operator was not able to control the tilt on the blade. A little bore and bush job was in order. About 4 hours total, a little slow as I am still getting my shop organized.

Also, the tip I got from this site about speedymetals.com saved me a lot of lathe time. At the time, I only had a SB heavy 10 and I was not looking forward to drilling 1 1/2 inch holes in the bushings. Speedymetals had DOM tubing that was a couple thou over on the od and about 5 thou over on the id. After pressing the bushings in, they were a nice snug fit without any machining except facing them off. I ordered the tubing at 1pm and had it the next day at 10am.

Brian

OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

THINK HARDER

Comment

THINK HARDER

Comment

THINK HARDER

Comment

THINK HARDER

Comment

Holy, that's a lot of smoke!

Comment

I just finished making this sight adjustment tool for a local customer. He had a copy of a factory tool from Luger, but needed another version of it with some modifications.

I'm making a mess of these flanges that will eventually be welded into an elbow for adapting ford throttle bodys to Holley 4150 flange intakes..

I'm also working on a "roll-over" fixture for doing valve jobs and cylinder head work in my mill. All I've got so far.
                  Last edited by medwards; 11-27-2009, 07:58 PM.

Comment

You can see some of my machine shop projects on my Web site:

http://users.moscow.com/oiseming/lc_ant_p/PnE_Menu.htm

Come back in a day or two and you'll see the poor man's Z-axis DRO I installed on my mill's spindle.

To see some of our non-machining projects, click on the links at the bottom of the page.

Orrin
                    So many projects. So little time.

Comment

• This what I do daily. Build pocket knives. For Queen Cutlery Company.

Comment

• I made this M2 tripod. Some maching and some welding. The head is four pieces cut from 11 gauge steel and welded together.

The legs are 1/2" black pipe. The feet are cut from the same 11 gauge steel, along with the spades on the bottom of the feet. Formed then welded to the legs and together.

I don't have a picture of the pintle but I machined it from solid 3.5" round stock.

Jeff

Comment

• Also been building a "Vault Lock" single shot rifle. Pictures are on the gunsmithing board here:

Vault Lock Post 1

and here:

Vault Lock Post 2

I'm mostly taught by you guys and trial and error. I think everything I do could be at least cosmetically a lot better.

Jeff

Comment

• ....another bike guy.

I am sure the other riders will raise an eyebrow when looking at this. (not me)

Little welding, suspension geometry, lathe, mill, heat treating, and a whole bunch of fun.

Several years into it now (I ride it between projects). Hoping to have the electrical finished up this weekend. (Shock is where the stock electronics were)

Comment

• There must be some more of you out there lurking...... Post pics!

This type of thread ought to get to be longer than any other, if this is a machining forum.................
                              1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

• Ok J.T. here are a few more ...

1mm shaft pulley for tiny Faulhaber 6mm stepper motor. The motor is the black part, the rest is a gearhead.

Low profile gas block for my M4 and also first attempt at manganese parkerizing.

Rear tang sight for a friend's old Stevens. This one has been posted before. Made of 12L14 with room temp black rubbed in.

Den

Comment

Working...
                                X