What do you do in the shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jking,

How about posting the pictures of your homemade "5-C" collet chuck? That was fantastic work!

Mike

Comment

• http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...en-159842.html Its been around the block a few times but here it is again.Thanks mike.

Comment

• <bump>

Keep 'em coming............
        1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

• Current project,

A steering servo for a big RC car I am working on. Should be able to test it this morning.

Nothing really fancy as far as the hardware goes, it's the little box that drives it that's the trick. It's a Traxxas XL-1 forward reverse speed controller. It uses a pot as a center throttle adjuster. I brought the connections out from the circuit board to use for the position feedback.
          Gene

Comment

• Start of one of those marble Stirling engines. Gimbal pivot for test tube.

Comment

• Originally posted by bewards
              I'm just a beginner[...]

Can't hold a candle to you guys though.
              -Don't worry about it, this isn't a competition after all.

Build what you want to build, or make whatever you need made. Use your machines- and skills- for yourself, not to "impress the other guys".

Doc.
              Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

• Small keychain I made out of some .100" thick titanium.

Comment

• im green with envy. maybe im not too old to learn cnc.

Comment

• precisionmetal, what's the detail level possible with your laser?

Comment

• Here is how I turn brake rotors.

I have a couple of these made up with different bolt patterns. Just chuck it up and take a face cut to tru it. Bolt rotor on and cut. No distortion from chucking and you use the same face as it runs against. jim

Comment

• latest project. working on this for a co worker. He has no tools so...

Comment

• Here is my golf ball cannon All I need is the tank now. jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony Ennis
                            precisionmetal, what's the detail level possible with your laser?
                            Tony,

I made that on my wire edm machine. A laser is like a hatchet in comparison.

That part was cut using .004" wire, so each inside corner has a radius of just over .002".

PM
                            Last edited by precisionmetal; 12-17-2009, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by precisionmetal
                              I made that on my wire edm machine. A laser is like a hatchet in comparison.

That part was cut using .004" wire, so each inside corner has a radius of just over .002".PM
                              It's beautiful. I thought it was wire EDM'ed when I saw it. But I'm really curious how much the wire cost you for that burn? I attempted to repair an old wire EDM once and was amazed at both the precision and the barrels of used wire.

Comment

• Mike,

Small wire is relatively inexpensive. Probably about $2/hr for the wire used while I was cutting that.

Accuracy, as you say, is phenomenal. My 14 year old Agie will position to 1 micron, and it has absolutely no problem repeating to the tenth, over and over, anywhere in the work area.
                                Last edited by precisionmetal; 12-17-2009, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X