Bridgeport Series 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridgeport Series 1

I was looking at some new manual knee mills in the $8000.00 range when I came across a 1996 Bridgeport series 1, 3 axis CNC. 9" x 42", Anilam Crusader Series M Three Axis Conversational CNC Control, Chrome Ways, Autolube System, Variable Speed. For $9500. I have some pictures but no way to host them. I know Bridgeport is the name in knee mills, The CNC would be a big plus over a manual Jet or Grizzly mill. Do these usually need alot of work at this age to bring them up to par? What does eveyone think?

Hi,

I've used and converted 3 different Series 1. Unless it is perfect and super, super low mileage, $9500 is high. They generally go for about half that kind of money for a good working specimen no matter what control system is on it.

dalee
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Must have gotten cheaper since the economy turned south. I would have thought that to be a fair price.

I used to see non-working 25 year old Tree CNC mills go for $2500

Comment

Hi,

The biggest fault of a Series 1 is the fact you can't use indexable cutters in them. They have a plastic gear in the head that will strip out if subjected to such use. I've had to replace that gear more than once due to people trying to use such cutters. They are strictly end mill only. So it really limits the desirability for commercial shop use.

dalee
        If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Is it that the indexable cutters require too much torque? Is this also a problem with face cutters or larger end mills?

Comment

Series 1 bridgeport plastic gears

This is the first that I have heard of a Sieres 1 Bridgeport not being suitable for use with indexable insert mills. Sure would like to hear some more discussion of this.
            Byron Boucher
            Burnet, TX

Comment

here's bport series 1 cnc

i've had the head apart and no plastic gears that i could see

Its not 100% clear whether the OP means a bridgeport series 1 converted to cnc or a bridgeport series one cnc converted to a new controller....if the former I don't get why there's anything torque wise on a cnc that would exceed what the manual see...if the later, i didnt find any plastic gears there
              Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-20-2009, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I guess that I did not follow the CNC conversion being the issue. I thought he was also discussing convential Series 1.
                Byron Boucher
                Burnet, TX

Comment

Plastic drive gears?

Originally posted by dalee100
                  Hi,

The biggest fault of a Series 1 is the fact you can't use indexable cutters in them. They have a plastic gear in the head that will strip out if subjected to such use. I've had to replace that gear more than once due to people trying to use such cutters. They are strictly end mill only. So it really limits the desirability for commercial shop use.

dalee
                  If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, then using a fly cutter or a boring head would probably kill them too. Any interrupted cut would be fatal to the machine.
                  Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

I also have never heard of any plastic gears in a series one, either manual or cnc version. I sure would like to hear more detail on that.

Many bridgeport owners do not use flycutters or similar in their mills due to the hammering action on splines in the head, perhaps that is what the concern was.

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100
                      Hi,

dalee
                      What plastic gear ? Stripped quite a few series 1's and never seen a plastic gear.
                      Only thing I know that's plastic in a Bridgy is the bushing in the sheave pulley.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                      X