Windows 7 - Beware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 - Beware

Just bought a new Dell box with Windows 7. My CAD software won't run on it. Bought the $99 Alibre Cad a month ago, but now need the full-price upgrade to run on 7. My ancient AutoSketch won't run on 7.

I ended up swapping for my wife's XP box that everything will run on. She gets the new computer for web surfing and Office.

I wonder what else won't run on 7. The buggers.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Should'a bought another machine instead of a computer

Have you tried compatibility mode for the problem programs. Here's a quick tutorial on how to set up for whatever specific level of compatibility you want: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...lity-mode.html

Haven't followed W7 a whole lot yet but I have heard good things about compatibility.

What does the Alibre forum say about it?

Den

Comment

Wes, there's actually a simple fix: run the program in Win 7 compatibility mode. Here's a good walkthrough:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ion-of-Windows
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Run that software on Win 7 in XP compatibilitiy mode.

http://www.windows7hacker.com/index....-in-windows-7/

Cross post.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Here's another approach that worked for me - virtual pc available as a download from Microsoft. It was the only thing that allowed me to use an epson scanner i still liked.

It runs an instance of xp in a window on the win7 desktop. Try install your autosketch inside that window and I'll bet it works if all else fails

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx
          "To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" Thomas Edison

Better to have tools you don't need than to need tools you don't have

73's KB3BFR

Comment

I use ViaCad5 and got it to run on W7 using the compatibility mode. I'm not very happy with W7. I may contact ASUS to see if my brand new dual core machine with the 8hour battery can handle XP. W7 seems too lean to me, many of the features I used in XP are not available in W7. I miss outlook express, right click on a pic to resize, spell checker for web stuff and more useful copy utility as in XP in the Classic view mode.
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Here is a resizer for you.

http://www.intowindows.com/quickly-r...for-windows-7/

See here for more:

http://geekswithblogs.net/evjen/arch...13/134083.aspx
              Last edited by Evan; 11-19-2009, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I quite like win 7 now...even though there initially seems to be a few xp niceties missing.
                I love the new start bar ....way better than aero..

havent had one program that wouldnt run ...had a few where I thought they were toast..only to realise some need admin priveleges..but thers no message to inform you..
                only two crashes so far when programming...thats good for me... and the core does seem as fast if not faster than xp...

vista is a bag of cack in comparison

i missed copy to...and save to... but they can be returned..

I also had the no refresh fault occur...as in you rename/delete etc and the changes do not show until you manually F5 it ...I eventaually found a force icons setting to cure it

the copy to....move to...and force refresh are....

Force icons explorer update............................................ .............

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Update]
                "UpdateMode"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
                "NoNetCrawling"=dword:00000000

copy-to................................................ ............................

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\Con textMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\Con textMenuHandlers\{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}]

move-to................................................ ...............................

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\Con textMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\Con textMenuHandlers\{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}]

Rob
                Last edited by MrSleepy; 11-19-2009, 04:06 PM.

Comment

You know what. I'm sick of Mister Gates and his horse. Nevermind, let's not go there. The wife and I have approximately 5 Y/O laptops and hers is beginning to really flake out bad. HP has bios issues between it's own printers and it's own laptops. Can you dig it? They told me to go pound sand up a rope or something. Live with it.

We've decided to go to Mac. All I'll really loose will be a million very labor intensive Visio files. But I think I can maybe translate them into something MAC can use. Visio was hideous to learn anyway. I hope the Mac equivalent will be better. Everything else is just links and old .doc files that I would hate to loose entirely. There's probably a way around that. I wonder about favorites files?

Comment

XP virtual machine will run it, provided your PC has Intel VM capabilities or the AMD equivalent. XP is great, gonna be gone after a while - just get on with it. W7 looks OK so far. Haven't moved anything to it yet, but evaluations are going well.
                    Chris
                    Merkel, Tx
                    http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

Comment

Originally posted by skyboltone
                      You know what. I'm sick of Mister Gates and his horse. Nevermind, let's not go there. The wife and I have approximately 5 Y/O laptops and hers is beginning to really flake out bad. HP has bios issues between it's own printers and it's own laptops. Can you dig it? They told me to go pound sand up a rope or something. Live with it.

We've decided to go to Mac. All I'll really loose will be a million very labor intensive Visio files. But I think I can maybe translate them into something MAC can use. Visio was hideous to learn anyway. I hope the Mac equivalent will be better. Everything else is just links and old .doc files that I would hate to loose entirely. There's probably a way around that. I wonder about favorites files?

I do lots of video and my friends love thier macs and would never change, I give them crap all the time about thier audio/ video sync, thier stuff is funny to watch like a dubbed movie from 1970. you see him talk then hear him a half second later.

I know macs are cool but you still need to know what you are doing. they dont.

I want a mac but just dont have faith that it will perform for my needs, my mac buddie admit that they crash, instead of the blue screen of death it just shuts down.

Macs are cool but I will wait till $20,000+ is worth buying to do what I want it to do.

Comment

Same here. Except my CAD software retails for $1300, and it won't run on Windows 7.
                        Yes, I tried the virtual computer software, I even went out and bought an Intel Quad-Core processor with virtual technology enabled.

Fortunately, I know enough about computers to get myself into trouble.

I did a re-format of my 160gb hard drive, and split the drive into two partitions. Then, I installed Windows XP on one partition, and Windows 7 on the other. (BTW, it's a good idea to install the XP first, that way Windows 7 won't claim the whole hard drive for itself.)

I now can run any and all of my XP programs and I still have the nice features of Windows 7. The only drawback is; I have to close and re-boot the computer to switch between the two, not really a problem. Now, my software vendor, for the CAD program, sends me an e-mail telling me that the newest release (upgrade) of their CAD software ($400) is 100% Windows 7 compatible....
                        No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Originally posted by tattoomike68
                          I do lots of video and my friends love thier macs and would never change, I give them crap all the time about thier audio/ video sync, thier stuff is funny to watch like a dubbed movie from 1970. you see him talk then hear him a half second later.

I know macs are cool but you still need to know what you are doing. they dont.

I want a mac but just dont have faith that it will perform for my needs, my mac buddie admit that they crash, instead of the blue screen of death it just shuts down.

Macs are cool but I will wait till $20,000+ is worth buying to do what I want it to do.
                          Wow. Latency that bad eh? That will never do. I run Sonar 6 Studio now and it's hard enough to keep it all straight in my head without putting up with that.

Comment

So- an obvious question here is- what is win 7 good for, or who is it good for? And XP is on its way out- what? I'd say it's about time to pull microshafts business license. What they're doing amounts to theft- let's count up how much they owe us for all the wasted hours and dollars we've had to spend to keep the computer systems we've paid for running.

My opinion- it's a lot of bullshi- they're feeding us, and it's time they were held accountable.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Why don't you give them a call Darryl?

Comment

Working...
                              X