This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Gotta love the UK Heath service

I know our National Health service come in for some flack but I have always done alright by it.

Last couple of days I have had a swollen jaw caused by I'm guessing an abscess under a tooth, so this morning after a restless night I rang the dentist up at 9:15 for an appointment.
    "yes Mr Stevenson can you come in for 11 o'clock ?"

So quarter to eleven I set off for the Dentist, it's only a 1/2 mile walk, couple of minute wait and a checkup on the old teggies and yes it's an abscess.
    Get a prescription for the Chemist and pay £16.10 for the check up, about $25 [ Dental treatment isn't free unless you are exempt but it is heavily subsidised.]

Walk to the Chemist, about half a mile and get the antibiotics for 10 days, no charge as I'm over 60.

Walk back home and carry on work. All this for a monthly cost of about 10 pounds to the health service.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

How would you like the system if a government panel suddenly declared that an abscessed tooth was like a runny nose and would no longer be treated? In the US a government panel recently declared that women no longer needed to get mammograms until age 50, and even after that it was only needed every two years instead of every year. They also said there doesn't appear to be a benefit for women over 70. These guidelines will be used to deny mammograms to women outside this age group under the government funded health care system. This is just the beginning.

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

UH-OH. I sense another 7 page battle brewing.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it won't make it to seven pages.
        George

Comment

:d :d
          Last edited by Evan; 11-20-2009, 09:20 AM.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Hmm. Smilies not working.
            Last edited by Evan; 11-20-2009, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Evan,
              Don't be a tight arse, try CAPITAL D's

[ just checking ]

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

LOL George, you slay me. LOL

Comment

I did use capital Ds and it changed them to lower case.

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss
                    I'm pretty sure it won't make it to seven pages.
                    Don't swine flue come under the UK health service ? Do I smell favouritism here ?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                      I did use capital Ds and it changed them to lower case.
                      I have had that happen as well, didn't think much of it at the time, thought it was me.

I also have trouble at times with the spell chucker stopping part way thru a long post. If you right click and disable then enable it works again.

latest Firefox here.

Comment

Abcesses aren't contagious

Comment

First time I have seen it. I am using IE so it must be the editor.

Comment

The fallacy of that, of course, is that it only costs ten pounds. The real cost of the service is much higher than that, it is buried in the enormous tax rate you pay and reduced level of service obtained.

This is a list of the tax increases of the bill going to the Senate floor this weekend for vote.

http://www.atr.org/userfiles/111809p...taxreid(2).pdf
                            Jim H.

Comment

Hmm. Smilies not working.
                              Don't worry Evan, they aren't needed. In the US at least, nobody smiles when talking about health care!

Comment

Working...
                              X