Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you guys elevate the lathe to the stand???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you guys elevate the lathe to the stand???

Now that I got my new Grizzly G4002 lathe out of the Uhaul truck to the garage floor, how do I elevate that 1000# beast to the stand? I figure I can elevate the lathe by incrementing up a platform made out of 2 x 4's. I am not sure how to transition it over to the stand. How did you guys to it?
    Jeff

I rented a engine crane..

Comment

Took mine apart...

Comment

I recently put my 700 pound mill drill up on the stand. I built two A-frames out of 2x6 and connected them at the top with a double 2x6. I used a lot of smaller dimension lumber for bracing, including a long piece to stabilize the base of the A. I then used the center point of the crosspiece to suspend a come along. The come along lifted the mill nicely.

Comment

If possible, manuever the lathe to the place it will sit and lift it there, then slide the table underneath it and lower it onto the table.

Moving the A frame with a 1K lbs of weight makes one hell of a battering ram!

I have a friend who sells cars and I saw him lift a car, strapped to a pallet with our forklift (a little Geo metro) and rather than back the flatbed under it as we suggested, he tried to manuever the forklift to the flatbed truck. He made it about 2/3 of the way when it slid off the forks, did a half roll and landed on the roof about half way onto the flatbad. Needless to say, it wasn't even fit for midgets after that...it still isn't funny to him but we couldn't stop laughing for months.

Michael

Comment

GET HELP, even if you have to hire it. Don't take any chances, if you drop it you will be forever sorry. If your ceiling is strong enough consider installing a rail and trolley, it can be used later to lift heavy work onto the lathe or for changing chucks.
            To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I know when I finally break down and buy a lathe and mill and can't use the machines at work during lunch any more I'll position the machines under the re-enforcing beam in the basement and hang a chain fall on it
              Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

I once lifted a very heavy wood lathe onto a pre-set concrete base I had moulded and cast for it, by using a car jack and lifting it half an inch at a time then placing wooden sheets under it at each end, one side half an inch then the other side and so on. When it was high enough I slipped the concrete base under the base and lowered it in a reverse fashion worked great. I lifted about half a ton by myself this way, wife watched in amazement. This will of course not be suitable for all lathes but with a bit of ingenuity it could may be adapted to suit Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

mpbush-
                  I did not move the A frame. I lifted the mill and moved the stand underneath the A frame. I would not recommend moving a double A frame with a machine tool hanging from it. My shop built stand has wheels and jacks so I can move it and level it.

Comment

Go with Alistair's method. It is how the Egyptians built the pyramids.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

When I bought my 12x36 Harbor Freight, I went ahead a bought an engine crane also. It cost about $170. I have used it several times, so I guess it has paid for it self in rental fees, and now I have it forever.

Steve

Comment

Bruce,

I wasn't commenting on your post at all. I just figured an A frame or engine hoist was what most people would use and wanted to pass along some hot air and a funny/tragic story.

Michael

Comment

Engine hoist was my method as well...

Comment

Here is an inexpencive way to build a rail and trolley. The rail is for a garage door. The trolley uses the wheels for the garage door and 24" of 2" square tubing to distribute the weight more evenly.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/06...N/32a61a19.jpg
                            To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

You could rent a section of pipe scaffolding, put a heavy beam across the top, and hang a come-along from it to pick up the lathe.

I find it helps, when estimating whether something is going to be strong enough, to translate the weight into X people. For 1000 pounds, that would be about 6 people: "Would this hold 6 people?" Easier to visualize than "Would this hold 1000 pounds?"
                              ----------
                              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Working...
                              X