Skip Diving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip Diving

Not quite true skip(dumpster) diving, but almost.
    Took a couple of old mattresses to the local council dump today, and whilst I was hauling them into the skip, the Mrs was having a look at the side tables where the staff 'rescue' stuff thats dumped, and then sell it on for a bit of Beer money.

Got this for 50p because they said it wasnt working, but all it took to fix it was tightening a miniature grub screw with a 1mm allen key.

I think I got a bit of a result there, and it will make a nice Christmas present for someone I have in mind.
    I'm not sure I have the Planets in the right order though.

Peter

That's a neat thing!

Comment

Woah thats awsome, so shiny, Is it motorized? if not, do you intend to?
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

No, the Orrery is not motorised, and I think I''ll probably just clean it up and leave it as it is.

Did a little Googling as I remember some UK magazine offering these as a step-by-step build a year or two back, and found this: http://www.build-solar-system.com/solar_system.html

As it turns out it was a weekly magazine that cost something like £7.95 and ran over 12 months, with each issue providing another part of the Orrery.
        So I reckon I saved about £400 buying it this way

Peter

Comment

A nice find, but a very sad commentary on the value placed on the work and craftsmanship that was dedicated to building it.

One can only wonder how such a project ended up in the dump.
          Jim H.

Comment

I wonder if you can get the missing bits from the supplier. It looks like they're still for sale as a complete kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Neill

It will make a nice Christmas present for someone I have in mind.

Peter
              Peter, thank you but you shouldn't have, really.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Peter
                That is a really nice thing to get , Our last amenity recycling centre, was run by one sometimes two operatives, They would on occasions lay something to the one side, and if anyone had a use for it, "then if it vanished" so what, Everyone was happy
                now we have a super duper large state of the art waste recycling depot, There is no chance of anything useful being given to anyone, Once it is in the skip, thats it! cc tv monitoring total security, If one is around when someone is about to horse something into the skip, then o.k. Three days ago i was up dumping some rubbish, and i looked in the scrap metal skip, two lovely bikes, -- Dont even think of going near the skips to retrieve ,plenty of forbidding notices, Every so often in the course of the day, a big machine comes along &crushes everything beyond salvation
                Now my point, We are supposed to be in a total green recycling world, They arent kidding me !

Comment

Our recycling centre is run by a large company but their operatives do what they like.

They do a good job of sorting and decent gear gets put to one side, It's really amusing to see the suits look down their nose at them.

Beginning of summer I dropped a load of rubbish off and had a look for a couple of push scooters for the grand kids to use in the yard.

There was a couple put to one side looked quite good, one with a lost rear wheel nut and the other with loose steering, I though £5 each tops, asked how much and was told £2 each [$3.00]
                  Gave them a fiver, took them back, new nut, bit of a clean up and got two good scooters for the girls.

Most times I don't bother getting anything but I still hand out loads of toffee's etc
                  If it's a Saturday morning I call in at the bakery and they give me a sackful of bread rolls that's left over, [ one of my customers ] I keep some and give the rest to the tip guys and gals.

What goes round comes round.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

around here ..all the stuff collected at the civic amenities sites worth saving.........is sent to a bigger site....About 50 miles away

where it is sold off in I ton lots to car booters .

The car booters (car truckers now) set up stalls here at Prestatyn to sell the stuff at 50 pence per item if its in the cardboard boxes........if not in the boxes its negotiable...but usually not more than £2

At the end of the day its a free for all ....anything you can carry for 50 pence

This happens twice a week here, Thursday and Sunday.....with most of the guys who car/truck boot , preferring to do their business in prestatyn ......even if they live 100 miles away.

All the best.,markj

Comment

Working...
                    X