Finally a Drill Press Tool Gloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally a Drill Press Tool Gloat

I have been looking for a Drill Press for two years. I have a bench top crappy HF drill press that I use when needed. Anyway I finally hit pay dirt on craigs list. It was made for Sears nice heavy duty with two tables and built in light. The motor is a 1/2 HP and can be wired for 120v or 220v. The speed range is 380 to 8550. Only thing that worries me is the little belt. I snapped a few pics with my cell phone.

Drill head with tap chart

Base with two tables

Speed Chart for belts

Nice find! Not to worry, I have been using a small belt Craftsman DP for over thirty years and have replaced the belt only one time.

Gayle Hopson
    GHop

Comment

I had one a while ago. Wanted a lower low end for WWing, but the craftsman was very smooth and had .001 runout. Think it had a light that was handy without another plug. No problem with the belt.

Rich

Comment

I've been using mine since 1978, and it's still got the original belt.

I installed a foot switch in parallel with the original switch to free up a hand. It's a very useful addition.

Does the extra table tilt?

Roger
        Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Nice! It's very hard to find a decent drill press anymore...
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by winchman
            Does the extra table tilt?
            Roger
            Yes the extra table has pin you pull out and then can adjust the angle of the table. I think I might put a small vice on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
              Nice! It's very hard to find a decent drill press anymore...
              I know I live about 20 minutes from Philadelphia you figure I would be able to find one but no dice. The guy I bought it from said he got about 20 calls on it. The picture on craigs list made it look smaller than it is, and he had no details about it at all in the posting. So I think that's why I got it Not bad for $75 !

Comment

I have the same drill press and need a belt..... Where can it be found?
                Feel free to put me on ignore....

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
                  I have the same drill press and need a belt..... Where can it be found?

Google Gates Polyflex micro vee belt.

It's the same cross section that fits the 9x20 lathes,just longer.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Can someone give me a source for the 1/4 wide belts? I have searched and tried master carr, nothing! Mine is 45 inches long. Thanks

Comment

I restored a similar Sears DP a few years ago and posted the results. Sears actually still stocks replacement parts and belts, that's where I got mine. Google the serial # or DP model # and you should come up with the repair site. If ya don't find it I'll try to post it later.
                        Cadwiz

Comment

Make damn sure you wear a hat while using it !! My friends father shortened up the pillar so it would fit in an old basement. That put the pulleys at hair height if you bent over to get a better look at what you were drilling. My friend said it tooks weeks before the kids at school stopped laughing at his receeded hairline

You will enjoy having a nice drill press in the shop. I have a floor model also but liked my old bench mounted one better. I get tired of chasing the floor model around the shop when trying to use it. The bench seemed much more stable.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Hi guys,

I have one of those that I bought about 30 years ago. Has served me well. I mounted a Sears XY table to it about 10 years ago and haven't removed it yet. The only thing I wish I had is a rack an pinion to move the table up and down. With the XY table mounted, the DP table is a little unwieldy to move up and down. Other than that minor annoyance, the DP is excellent for it's size.

Tim

Comment

We had that model in our plant for many years. It was used for deburing. We never had to replace the belt.

It is a nice light drill press.

Clutch

Comment

Working...
                              X